Chapter 7

Jesse's POV

“I can’t believe you stood me up last night,” Jesse said.

“I’m sorry. How many times do you want me to apologize? I ran into an old flame. We started catching up and I got a little carried away,” Fred said. “What happened anyway? You don’t look like you had a bad night.”

Jesse recalled the previous night. Thinking about the things Billy had done to her still got her hot. “I went to a party and things got a little too exciting so I came home,” she said.

“Are you sure that’s all that happened?” Fred asked. He walked over to her and touched her ruffled hair.

“I had a little to drink,” Jesse said.

Fred raised his eyebrow, silently scrutinizing her and Jesse tore her gaze away. She’d woken up a couple of hours ago and Billy had not been there. She honestly didn’t know if she was upset or relieved. She would not have been able to face her the following morning. 

“What really happened? The true version?” Fred asked.

He knew her too well. Before she could answer, her doorbell rang. She smoothened out her locks and went to open it. When she found Alex standing outside, her heart skipped a beat.

“Good morning,” Alex said.

“Good morning, Alex,” she said.

“Can I come in?”

Jesse wished Fred had not been there, but smiled and opened the door wider for her to enter. “Yes, please,” she said.

“Hello, I don’t think we’ve met,” Fred said. “I’m Fred Jones, Jesse’s friend.”

“I’m Alex, we met last night,” Alex said as she shook his hand.

“This is the guy who stood me up last night,” Jesse said.

“Oh, its nice to meet you.”

“Likewise.”

Alex turned her attention to Jesse. “I’m sorry to just show up like this. I would have called but you never gave me your number.”

“It’s fine,” Jesse said. She turned to Fred, who stood some distance away watching them and said, “Could you give us some privacy?”

He smiled, nodded and walked out of the room. 

“Sorry about that, would you like some breakfast?” she asked. 

“No, I’m fine. I actually just dropped by to see how you’re doing and to apologize for last night. I know things got a little out of hand.”

“It wasn’t your fault.”

“I ran into Billy this morning, she gave me your address, I hope it’s not a problem.”

Jesse shook her head, knowing Billy had not mentioned anything that had happened to Alex. “No, its fine.”  

“I was wondering if we could go out sometime. Lunch or dinner, whatever you’re comfortable with.” 

Jesse had not known boldness to be Alex’s strong suit because she looked rather shy, but then again after her heroic gesture last night, it appeared that she had a few surprises up her sleeve. 

But things had gotten a little complicated, what with Jesse sleeping with her best friend so she didn’t think it was a good idea to go out with Alex. Plus going out with her meant eventually running into Billy and Jesse wasn’t sure she wanted that.

“I don’t know if that’s a good idea,” she said. 

A sad expression covered her face and Jesse didn’t know what to do. 

“Uh, well, okay. I’m glad you got home safely. Again, I’m truly sorry you had to witness that last night.”

She was so sweet. As she turned to walk away, Jesse wondered if she was brushing her off too quickly. It was clear Alex was genuinely interested and Jesse liked her, so why not give it a chance? 

“Alex, wait.” 

Alex stopped. 

“Maybe we could do a movie instead.”

Alex smiled, revealing a perfect set of white beautiful teeth. She was a beautiful woman, Jesse had to give her that. 

“That would be great,” Alex said.

Jesse gave Alex her number so that they could communicate more later, and shortly after, she left. 

Fred walked back into the room and asked, “Who was that stunning woman?”

Jesse sat down and closed her eyes. She had no idea what she had gotten herself into. Maybe she could still end it before things got complicated. “That was Alex. I met her last night when you stood me up. She took me to a party, there was a fight, her best friend brought me back home and we had crazy intense sex.”

Fred was speechless.

Jesse looked at him. “I don’t want to do anything to hurt Alex. She’s so sweet. But I already slept with her best friend. I thought I would never see either one of them again. Guess I didn’t really think things through.”

“Wow! I can’t believe I missed out on so much. So you like them both, Alex and the best friend?” Fred asked, taking a seat right next to her.

“Her name is Billy, and yes, I like them both, though in a different manner. I am drawn to Billy, but there is something about Alex that I can’t say no to,” Jesse said.

“And you met them both last night? Do they know that they both like you?”

“Billy is aware that Alex is into me, but Alex has no idea.”

“You need to end it with one or both of them.”

“I don’t think there is anything to end with Billy. When I woke up, she was gone. I think I need to stop things with Alex before it goes too far.”

“How, you just gave her a date.”

“You were eavesdropping?” 

Fred made a guilty face. 

“Shouldn't you be at work? We're supposed to be meeting a client at twelve, right?" Jesse asked.

"Yeah, you should start getting ready."

Jesse pushed all those disturbing thoughts to the back of her mind and went to prepare for work. She would deal with the situation later.

**