Chapter 13

Billy’s POV

 “I haven’t told her anything, but if you had walked in a second later, I probably would have,” Max said.

Billy exhaled in relief. “Okay, good, listen, I need to explain to you what you saw last night,” she said.

“I don’t think you do. What I don’t understand is why you would go after a girl Alex has openly expressed she likes but what confuses me even more is why Jesse is playing along,” Max said.

“Max, it’s a long complicated story. I like Jesse too. I liked her from the moment I saw her. But Alex was the first to make a move so I had to back off. Jesse really likes Alex and I think she likes me too. What happened yesterday was not planned for. I kissed her. It was my fault and it won’t happen again. Just please, don’t tell Alex. The last thing I want to do is hurt her.”

“If you can tell me it’s the last time it’ll happen, then I won’t say anything.”

“It is. I’ll keep my distance. I won’t see or speak to Jesse again.”

Max seemed to study her for a second before she said, “You really like her, don’t you?”

Billy raised her eyebrow at the sudden concern.

“Look, I care about you both equally. Last night may not have been planned for but it happened anyway. Its obvious Jesse likes you too, I could tell. You can stay away from her so that Alex can have a clear shot of her, but if it hurts you too, then wouldn’t it be much easier to just rid off of her from both your lives? She could destroy your friendship with Alex and it would force us, people who have nothing to do with it, have to pick sides.”

“I’m willing to step away because I have no right to make any sort of claim on Jesse.”

“Oh, Billy. What have you gotten yourself into?” Max asked.

Billy exhaled and Max took her in her arms. It felt nice to talk about her conflicting feelings for Jesse. She knew what she had to do and as long as Max was not going to expose what she’d seen, then everything would work out just the way it was supposed to.

“This doesn’t mean I like Jesse. She should just make it clear who she likes, who she wants to be with and move on from there. She shouldn’t play with both your feelings like this,” Max said.

“It’s not her fault, trust me,” Billy said.

“We should go back before Alex starts wondering what is going on.”

“Max, thank you,” Billy said.

Max smiled faintly, then walked out. Billy sat down on the bed and berated herself for what she’d done. She didn’t recognize this persona that was taking form within her. She was never this unpredictable. Everything she did was usually well planned beforehand.

When she was calm and relaxed, she rejoined her friends in the sitting room. Max and Joss were having breakfast and Alex was seated at the kitchen counter. Their gazes met and silently, Alex called her over. Billy went and sat beside her.

“I spoke to Kim last night. What are you going to do about her?” Alex asked.

Billy was glad for the change of subject, though the new one was not quite so thrilling. “I don’t know what to do. She knows I have no feelings for her but she keeps insisting. I have run out of ways to end it,” she said.

“She seems to think that you’ll change your mind and go back to her. Have you given her the impression that there could be a chance?”

“No, if anything I’ve been brutally honest and clear about how I feel about her.”