Chapter 14: The Anchor

I couldn't sleep at all. At most, I think I slept for three hours, and that's being generous. Each time I would start to doze off, I would have a flashback to the accident and then around eight in the morning, the booming thunder from the still ongoing rain storm would startle me awake.

I check the time on my cell and see it's already 10 A.M. By now I should be up and getting ready for my two classes of the day.

Key word here is: should, but I'm not going too. I think I need to take a day off since I don't have the energy to put on a fake face and pretend all is good in the world.

Good thing I don't work today so I don't have to come up with an excuse to call in.

After rationalizing my decision, I turn my phone off to be free from the outside universe even if it's just for one day.

I grab my seven inch tablet and tap on my netflix app so I can continue watching "One Tree Hill" and experience some high school drama that is not my own.

Once I make myself comfy on my bed, I press play and get lost in love triangles and friend problems.

------ ------------- --------------------------  ------------------  ---------- -----

I hadn't known that I had fallen asleep while holding my tablet to my chest until I wake up to a pounding noise on my apartment door.

And that pounding is scaring the shit out of me. I rarely have visitors and none of them would pound on my door. For a second I try to convince myself that its the downpouring rain outside and ignore it.

Yeah, this tactic isn't working since I now hear a male voice calling my name.

If this person knows my name, then it can't possibly be a murderer. Right?

Okay, what the fuck do I do?

I take a breath and slowly rise from my bed even though that's the last thing I want to do right now. After snatching my phone, I take small steps towards the door.

I wish I had a baseball bat or a can of pepper spray. I don't have anything to use as a weapon. I mean, I do have a heavy dictionary in my room. Maybe I should grab it and hit the mystery person on the head if I'm in danger.

I'm still groggy from waking up so that's not the best idea, but that's all my brain is coming up with for now.

"Amelia, are you in there?" I hear the male voice call through the wooden door.

"No." I yell back without thinking.

I am amazed and cringe at my own stupidity.

"Can you open the door? It's me, Alex."

"Alex? What are you doing here?" I ask and breathe a sigh of relief.

"Well, if you would open the door, I can tell you."

Oh, right.

I turn the locks and open it to find a soaking wet Alex. It looks like he took a full on shower with his clothes on.

"Uh, can I come in?" He shivers as the rain continues to fall on him.

"Of course." I nod and step aside for him to enter. "Are you here to see Rebecca? She's not here." I add the last part as I remember the coversation we had last night.

Last night sucked balls.

"Who?"

"My roomate." I leave out the whole: and probably your future girlfriend.

"No." He raises an eyebrow as if I just asked a stupid question.

Once he's inside, I go to grab him some towels from the bathroom so he can dry himself off.