Chapter 42: You get what you give

"You had a dream that you were dating Rebecca? Gross. Also, that's basically treason." I make a horrified face and pretend to gag.

"I can't control my dreams Amelia! Not my fault." Ann shrugs as if she didn't just say the most bizzare thing ever.

"That is true, but still." I shudder at the thought. "She's evil. I do not support this ship, or whatever it was."

We had just started our shift thirty minutes ago and somehow ended up talking about the strangest dreams we have ever had. Everything was going good, but now I deeply regret engaging in this whole conversation.

My answer had been about the time I had dreamt I was attacked by a zombie and I ended up hiding out at Academy Sports and Outdoors. In comparison, I think Ann's is still creepier.

"I think we can both agree that she can go jump off a cliff. You know, in that same dream, Tom Cruise was president and Stephen was VP." She adds before turning to wipe down the already spotless front countertop.

"Alright, this just keeps getting weirder. Are you sure you didn't take any drugs prior to having this nightmare?"

"I'm too poor to afford drugs even if I wanted any. Speaking of Stephen, what has happened with him? I haven't heard or seen him around campus. It's like he's completely disappeared off the face of the earth or something. Not that it would be a bad thing."

One can only hope that he has fallen off earth. If I never have to see him again, life would get much better. Whenever he's seen, he acts like an annoying mosquito that won't go away no matter how many times you swat it.

I'm about to answer her that I don't know where he's been when a familiar voice speaks up almost out of nowhere and startles me.

"He transferred to community college. He was failing several classes and apparently his dad was tired of paying the high tuition. I think we all know Stephen isn't that bright anyway." Stephanie informs us nonchalantly as she types away on her iphone.

Whenever she entered, she must have been quiet as a mouse. Either that or I'm starting to lose hearing in my ears. If the latter is correct, it would be because I always tend to listen to my music on the loudest setting when I put on my earbuds. Damn Brendon Urie and his amazing voice.

"Oh." Is all I can muster to say once I snap back to reality. Her and I haven't talked in awhile, so I don't know what her relationship is to Stephen is at the moment. I don't want to bad mouth him and offend her. She's quick to defend him and their "love" from what I remember.

"It's not like he needs an education. I bet he's going to end up working some desk job given to him by his daddy's connections." Ann rolls her eyes.

So much for avoiding potential conflict.

"Of course. I'm sure he will also undoubtedly fuck that up somehow whenever that happens." Stephanie responds with a small laugh.

I breathe a sigh of relief since I think it's safe to say they are not a thing or friends due to her comment. Good for her, no one deserves to suffer with the likes of him.

"How have you been?" I ask and make my way closer to the register.

She still looks the same since I last saw her, except for her vibrant red hair having a shorter hairstyle that suits her well.

"Just busy with courses like always. Calculus is ruining my life and I'm trying to not have a total breakdown."

"Typical college life then?"

"Basically." She sighs and nods in agreement. "So, I'm not a real big coffee drinker. I have no idea what anything in that menu behind you means. All I know is that I need something strong enough to keep me awake during my literature class. Do either of you have a suggestion?"