Chapter 38: Do I Wanna Know?

It feels like I’m in a bad dream. This can’t possibly be happening.

“You want us to breakup? Where is this coming from?” I ask confused. A million questions rush through my head at once and I’m not sure which ones to grasp at.

“Wait, I worded that wrong. l- ” Alex starts but I talk over him.

“You said breakup Alex! How else would you word it? Please don’t do the whole “It’s not you, it’s me” spiel. If you even think about it, I will hurt you with my five pound textbook.”

I probably sound like a soon to be psycho ex, but I was just blindsided. I can’t even think properly.

“That turned violent quick. I never pictured you the type to hit someone with a book, sorry, five pound weapon.” Alex comments with a tinge of laughter.

“You’re not only breaking up with me, but laughing at me. This just keeps getting better.” I mutter to myself. “You’ve got some nerve Alexander Daniel.”

“Full name? Shit, I’m in trouble.”Alex slightly grimaces and gives me a somewhat apologetic look.

“Just continue whatever you were going to say. Sorry for the interruption.” I remark, expecting an answer. I can’t face him so I just continue looking straight ahead and focus on the science building.

Alex and I haven’t had any relationship problems. Maybe his dad Charles put him up to this. I know he’s not my biggest fan due to my lack of wealth and name. To him, I’m a nobody who’s not good enough to be with his son. Charles has repeated it so many times that it sounds like a recording every time he recites this.

“What I was trying to say before you harshly threatened my life, was that what I said came out wrong. I don’t want us to actually breakup.” Alex states. I wait for him to continue, but I get nothing.

“Thank you for that non clarifying explanation. I’m still lost.” I scoff and look him straight in his green eyes. That might be a bad idea since I always become lost in them, but I tell myself to stay strong.

Did he happen to switch his mind in a matter of seconds?

“What I meant is that we should fake breakup. Not real. I didn’t know how to verbalize it and got tongue tied so I fucked up big time. Sorry about that.”

“Fake breakup? It’s about to be real after this heart attack you almost gave me. You really should have said it more clearly. And why do we need to pretend to not be going out?”

“I finally told Jax about our mother and he went to go confront father dearest, even though I told him it wouldn’t be smart too. He ignored my advice and went anyway. Obviously I couldn’t let him go alone so I tagged along. Needless to say, there was a lot of drama in the Woods household last night. My dad’s hatred of me must have quadrupled since I divulged the truth to my brother. Back to the point I was making, I think we should make it seem to others that we aren’t dating. I don’t want my father to come after you just to get at me. As I mentioned, he’s already pissed off and threatened to take away my apartment along with paying for school, but that doesn’t matter.”

“It kind of does though, what if he follows through?”

From what I’ve already experienced, Charles is an asshole who enjoys attempting to ruin shit for people.

“I talked to my mom afterwards. She uh, had a lot of interesting things to tell me. One of them was that she has a trust set up for both Jax and I. Even said we could use it whenever we needed. Now I don’t have to worry about money, and I have a feeling dad knows. Charles no longer has power and I’m sure that scares him. Only thing he can take from me now is you. It would be the worst thing in the world for me to be happy. So I don’t want him to try something stupid to break us apart. He has connections since he donates generously to this school, so he would know whether or not we are together.”