Chapter 40: Bottled Affection

"How can you live like this? Everything is so... disorganized." Ann scrunches her nose in confusion as she takes a long look inside my kitchen pantry.

"What do you mean?" I ask and briefly scan my floor to ceiling food closet. Everything seems perfectly fine to me since there's nothing out of the ordinary. Just mundane groceries filling the four shelves inside.

"It looks like a tornado passed through. It's not neatly arranged." She points at several boxes of cereal that are lying kind of slanted and at various pieces of candy randomly spread out in different levels. To be honest, Rebecca was the one who bought real food. She wouldn't exactly share as she put her name on every single grocery purchase, but every now and then I would "borrow" some of her stuff without her knowing. I take a long second look at the closet when a certain gold colored wrapper catches my attention.

"It's not aesthetically pleasing, but it's doing its job." I shrug and hastily rip open the mini Twix bar I was eyeing to munch on.

"Not everyone uses pinterest religiously to decorate." Asher jokes from down the hall as he places one of Ann's boxes outside her new bedroom door.

It seems like just yesterday Ann and I were discussing the idea of her moving into my place. Oh wait, that's because it was.

She texted me late last night to tell me that she had arranged everything and could move in as early as today. Hence why we are both currently standing in my kitchen at four in the afternoon. Ann's trying to find a place to put her "healthy" snacks that taste like cardboard. I know because she was insistent that I try one. She claimed it was a cookie, but in reality, it looked, felt, and tasted like a rock. I once tasted a rock on a dare when I was like ten, so I would know.

"Bom dia, Você não é um tubarão!" Alex suddenly shouts excitedly as if he just won the lottery from my living room couch. He had offered to help Ann move in, but he's been on his iphone majority of the time since he's been here.

"Is Alex on drugs?" Ann tilts her head at his strange outburst then closes the pantry door. "Or in the illuminati? What language is that?"

"Not that I know of, he's trying to learn portuguese from some app." I quickly explain and throw my wrapper in the trash as if I'm making a basket. Of course it fails and I waste more effort on having to bend down and putting it in my wastebasket.

"Oh, that's cool."

"Sounds fancy, what did you just say dude?" I hear Asher question from the doorway.

"Good morning, you are not a shark." Alex responds and I start chuckling at the absurd sentence I can't imagine anyone ever needing to say in their life. At least I hope it would never be needed. Ann and I then walk out to the living room where the conversation is happening.

"Out of everything, that's what you chose to share with us?" I continue laughing at the outrageous statement he happily blurted out.

"It sounded like a sophisticated sentence."

"Yet in english, you sounded like a complete dumbass." Asher pokes fun, and in return Alex throws one of his Nike shoes at him.

"Sou um ninja." Alex adds and smirks content with his perfect aim.

"I was assaulted by Alex! Man down. I can no longer offer my box carrying services. Sorry babe. To recover I will have to go home and rest for the rest of the evening." Asher dramatically cries out, with a hand over his right arm.

"I only had two boxes and a couple of bags. It's already done." Ann points out. "It's not like I had a lot of space in the shared dorm room. Eva took up most of it with stupid unnecessary stuff like a dehumidifier and air purifier. I'm still not one hundred percent sure I know the difference between those two things."