JEALOUS VERONICA

Next morning Jay's chauffeur arrived at her doorstep to pick her for office.

"Where's Jay?"

"Sir has a flight to catch. He is going to Mumbai in the evening. He has asked me to take you to the design studio in his absence."

Cia decided to send the sketches on mail. Within an hour jay had replied. The first five designs were perfect and he had not suggested any changes. The rest five he wanted to discuss with her but since he would not be available till Friday he asked her to focus on the first five.

Mrs Kalpana took her to the raw material section where samples of hundreds of materials were kept. Cia decided on cotton, georgette and chiffon as all five were office wear dresses. Then she went to the embrioder's section where she explained what she wanted on her pieces. Monday was fairly busy and so was Tuesday.

On Wednesday she was busy discussing her sample when Veronica entered the room. "What is the new genius designer doing, sitting on the floor with our embroiders ,just as typical middle class people sit?"

"Hello Madam"

"Since you call Jay by his name you can call me Veronica"

"Since you are an amateur you will need guidance on how to behave as a designer of such a reputed brand. You are not a worker sitting like that on the floor. What if somebody comes and sees you like this? Actually class comes from family background and I believe you come from a small town. So, I can fully understand your behavior but mind you now you need to change."

Cia was shocked at how insulting Veronica could be. She couldn't understand what this lady had against her. She was a very successful designer but this did not give her the right to humiliate others. Somebody had to put her right.

"Veronica first of all family background does matter but it is the family which teaches you basic manners. Nobody is high class or low class here. Everybody is paid to work and everyone is assigned their own work . As for sitting on the floor we small town people believe in hardwork and not superficial status. You are a very senior designer so I would love to learn something from you but definitely not your arrogance." All the workers smiled and Veronica left the room fuming with anger.

"Cia my dear what a speech? You know Veronica is obnoxious but today she crossed her limits so she deserved what she got. Sahil entered the room clapping and smiling. Sometimes I feel she is jealous of you."

"It's not possible. She is a fantastic designer. I have seen her clothes. They are everyones dream clothes."

"Yes but for the past six months she has not brought much revenue to the company because her clothes are expensive and only a select few can purchase them. Also I believe you are more beautiful than her."

"How can you say that ?" Veronica is drop dead gorgeous.

"But she is also a cold calculative bitch while you are sweet and innocent. Cia when do I get my coffee? maybe tomorrow after office. We can have coffee at a small café around half an hour from here . Then I will drop you home."

"Ok Sahil, done."

By Thursday her five samples were ready.

The week had felt so long as if a month had passed. Cia knew it was wrong but she had developed a liking for Jay. Cia had been missing him. She missed his arguments, his compliments and even his flirting. She missed seeing his face in the morning while having her cup of tea .

Friday passed on as usual. Cia didn't have much to do so she left office with Sahil around 5 PM

"This is a nice cottage and you have decorated it well. The cushions on the Diwan add colour to this pastel room. Also your table cloth is very pretty, Cia"