THE MORNING AFTER

In the morning Jay woke up in Cia's room. He recalled the night in which he made love to Cia not once but twice. Though Cia was a virgin she was a quick learner. The first time they made love Cia was slightly apprehensive but the second time she gave herself freely.

His experience had been mindblowing. Though he had slept with many women before but this was different.

Maybe because his feelings were involved for the first time. He always had sex and then went back to his room but tonight he had slept the entire night with somebody. Also he felt protective towards Cia.

Here in Jodhpur Jay got to see another carefree girlish side of Cia. She laughed a lot and enjoyed the local cuisine. There was no pretense in her. He realized that she is totally different from any other women he has known. He also realized that his feelings for her were getting stronger by the day.

Since for the return flight they had a few hours he decided to order breakfast in his room. He left a note for her that he was going to his room to change and asked her to join him for breakfast there. He wanted to give her space when she woke up because he was apprehensive of Cia's reaction.

Cia woke up feeling happy. She blushed remembering the way she had behaved last night. Jay was a wonderful lover. He had been extremely patient with her even though he had wanted her badly. She realized that whatever had happened at night was inevitable as she was deeply in love with Jay. But she also knew that Jay was commitment phobic due to his parents bad marriage, then separation and eventually his father's remarriage to his secretary.

She woke up hurriedly got dressed and packed her bags wondering where Jay was. She noticed his note and went to his room.

Jay had ordered a lavish breakfast with Aloo paranthas- her favourite, but she barely nibbled at the food, She was in deep thought when he asked her if everything was ok.

"Cia are you sure you are ok?"

"Yes, I am fine."

" You do not seem fine. Are you repenting last night? I just want to reassure you that we have done nothing wrong. We are both adults and there is nothing wrong in expressing our feelings for one another. In fact yesterday was a beautiful night which I will remember throughout my life."

"Can you just shut up? I know you didn't seduce me but I have never behaved such wantonly before so I need to digest the fact that I have slept with somebody."

"Cia why do I have the feeling that you are not happy?"

"Jay just leave this topic . We are getting late for our flight back home."

Saying this Cia walked back to her room with tears in her eyes. The flight back was uneventful and as soon as she reached home she threw her luggage on the floor and settled on her bed crying.

She was not crying because she had slept with Jay but because Jay had seemed quite indifferent to her feelings. She knew that now it would get difficult to work together and she had to keep her distance from him.

For the next week or so she behaved as a robot going to workshop, designing, coming back having bread or soup for dinner and going to sleep early. She even avoided Jay in the morning by taking her morning tea in the kitchen rather than at the porch.

After coming back from their Rajasthan trip Jay noticed a restlessness in Cia. On the surface she seemed to be the same but there was something different in her behavior. She worked seriously and with full dedication but did not speak much with anyone. She no longer argued with him, nor did she spend much time with him . In fact she founds excuses not to remain in the same room as him.

Kalpana had noticed a change in Cia,s behavior and she decided to talk with Jay because she treated Cia as her own daughter.

"Jay sir I want to talk to you"

"What is it Kalpana ? I am quite busy at the moment."

"Sir, I need two minutes of your time. I am worried for Cia. The girl does not speak or laugh as she used to. She has not been eating properly and often misses lunch. I have asked her many times but she just smiles sadly and keeps on working saying she has targets to meet."

"Ok Kalpana I will talk to her ."

On his way back Jay spoke to her but Cia chose to remain quiet.

"Cia ,damn you speak to me. Your behavior is making me guilty as if I deliberately seduced you. "

"Jay I am not blaming you. It's just that I need time to think over. You are used to one night stands I am not."

"Cia how can you say this. You are not a one night stand. Don,t make what we shared cheap. It was a wonderful night ."

"Jay can you give me a few days leave? I plan to spend Diwali with my parents."

"Fine Cia do whatever pleases you." Saying this Jay walked back to his cottage.

>8