First event of many

By the time they managed to organize a giant gathering with the nobles, the season had become slightly cooler, it was a perfect weather for boat gatherings.

Boat gatherings were sort of like a party/competing event. Nobles would brings their big fishing boats, and the one who had the most beautiful and elegant one would be the winner. However that was not the only competition, nobles would show off their fishing skills to the noble ladies, and people would mostly join the person with the most elegant person for tea. Most of the time it was the crown prince, because.... first, he was the crown prince, second, he was the crown prince, and third, because he was the crown prince.

Only the elite nobles of the younger generations were invited. However even the elite were quite a lot. This group of elite nobles were usually people with fathers in the 5th rank or higher, or famous for things like being scholarly and handsome, being virtuous and beautiful, beautiful and talented in dance and music, a genius, a general, a young official who has reached a high position, a prince, a duke, etc.

This included one of Mei Lan's half sister Wu An Cheng who was known for her witt, lineage,  and beauty, and both of her brothers. Wu Hai who was known for his looks, martial arts, and lineage. Wu Huang Jia who was known for his lineage and manners. (lineage as in, their father is a high ranked official, in this case a second ranked one).

____________________________________________________________________________________

"The morning of the Boat Gathering"

6 o'clock in the morning, Mei Lan was soaking in the bath tub while receiving a jamine scented ointment massage. Reading a book about a specific kind of gardening. She had had an dragon apple (rumored to make women beautiful) for breakfast, and was once again enjoying her time, when Du Hai ran into her room, more like climbed into her room.

"Lan'er! Lan'er! Come, come, get ready, dress warm and nice, we're going out!" He sung as he pulled her out of the tub.

"Esteemed brother, I see that you are very excited, but I must get dressessed...." She exclaimed. When Du Hai heard this, his eyes immediately and unconsciously went to her body, and his cheeks, and ears, and neck turned brighter than red empress silk.

Mei Lan just sighed and went back into her tub. She was not bothered by nudity. The emperor would sometimes order her to be present while he and some other concubine would consummate.   She finished off the massage and ordered her servants to drape her with a gauzy robe. Du Hai sighed and once again thought about how beautiful, elegant, and calm his sister was.

Du Hai sat on a mat while Mei Lan dressed. He kept moving about, and playing with his fingers, as if he couldn't wait. Mei Lan faintly guessed that he was hiding something, but she did not care to much.

"Lan'er, dress warm since it's chilly outside!" Du Hai reminded her, as if he had forgotten she had gone out with him yesterday to the market.

She laughed gently as she fixed her hair.

30min later.

The Lake Pavilion (where all the boats are tide too)

Everyone was eagerly waiting for the so rumored most beautiful Lady of the Du Mansion.

Mei Lan's half  sister An Cheng, scoffed at people's attention. Although she couldn't help but admitt her beauty was incomparable to her sister's beauty, she was jealous and afraid that she would be outshined by her sister once again as she had been her entire life. This was why she had worn her Dark purple luminescent orchid silk robe with a soft white brocade coat that cost more than 300gold coins and her hair was covered with silver coral decorations. Her heart was still beating in anticipation. But so were other people's hearts.

Slowly a big carriage made of sparkling blood jade, covered with golden butterflies, and pulled by dark-red war-horses pulled up in front of the pavilion.

"What a wasteful person, to use war horses to pull a carriage, to use a carriage made of blood jade and gold that would probably cost more than 4000 gold coins!" An Cheng scoffed, but no one was listening.

Du Hai stepped out first from the beaded red jade curtains and all the noble ladies gasped in awe. He was like a noble prince, a fine build, noble aura, and a god-like handsome face. But instead of turning around to greet everyone, he turned around and offered up a hand. All the ladies were envious, not even one of them had gotten a chance to hold his hand, yet the woman inside got his hand offer!

Slowly, a long slender milk like hand came out of the beads. Dum Dum Dum, everyone felt their hearts increase in speed by tens.

She was like a heavenly lotus. her figure was slender yet well rounded in the places. Her face was like a heavenly coronet set in pearl. Her face was as white and luminescent as a pearl yet slender, her nose was a cute button, her hair seemed to give off a blueish glow, her big slender eyes seemed to shine, and her lips were redder than fire and plump as a well ripe persimmon.

Suddenly she fell into Du Hai embrace as he caught her. But this time the women did not envy her, she was definately heavens gift to earth. Mei Lan and Du Hai were match made in heaven. Especially in Du Hai's white/gold embroidered robes, and Mei Lan's pure white robe.

Mei Lan laughed at her fall and looked at Du Hai lovingly. Everyone sighed, she was indeed worthy of being called the most beautiful woman. Even the empress and all the emperor's harem could not compare to this.

Suddenly Mei Lan noticed all of the other people in the Pavilion. Her eyebrow creased into an unhappy frown. Most people thought she was unhappy meeting so many people at once, but it wasn't the case. The truth was, Mei Lan recognized this boat gathering from her dreamlike cruel past.

It was an autumn day, the sky was gray, the atmosphere was calm and peaceful. It could have been interpreted as an perfect day. However this was the day, she forced the crown prince's curse upon herself forever, the day that started the wheel of her miserable fate.

All the information she told her father finally became useful. Her father payed an assassin guild to kill the crown prince, his friends including Du Hai (because he was an opposing force), and some other nobles who were children of people who ere in his way.

During the assassination attempt, important people such as one of the prime minister's son Li Anye and the daughter of the other second ranked official, lady Cheng Jia Na and her brother Cheng Wei Wen were killed. Even the crown prince and Du Hai were injured and had to stay in bed for a month.

Her father sent 77assassins, which is why the great prodigies could not defeat them all, because there were only 25 of them, and some ran away while others were willing to watch by the sidelines and watch.

Cheng Jia Na was a bright and beautiful girl. Her beauty killed Mei Lan's instantly in the past. She was always so happy and graceful, she was what the crown prince had needed in his life. He had been interested in her for a long time, however after the assassination attempt, he became darker and more demonic. He would kill people without mercy and when he found out who was behind the assassination attempt, he chased her father and family around until they finally surrendered and died.

She sighed, making Du Hai worry. 

When she noticed Du Hai, she calmly took his hand and smiled.

"I have been missing all my friends, thank you for bringing me here darling rother, this is such a beautiful gathering!" She said as she kissed him on the cheek.

Du Hai's heart warmed as he led her hand towards the pavilion.

She looked around before letting Du Hai lead her, hoping the assassination attempt would not happen because of her actions.