[chapter 08]

Chapter 08: Monster

Claire opened her eyes and sighed softly before she stood up and changed her clothes before slipping on her glasses. She had on a short sleeved army green t-shirt and black skinny jeans that had holes in the knees with her black converse sneakers.

She brushed her short blonde hair and sighed softly before walking out of the room. She looked around and sighed before headed down toward the lab to see how everything was going so far. She pushed up her glasses and entered the room.

"Hey, Claire," Tony said as he continued to do his work. Claire smiled softly and walked over toward him to see what he was working on. She needed to busy herself somehow to calm her nerves that were growing inside her like a little parasite. Tony looked at Claire and sighed, "I was told about some information... Natasha talked to you earlier about it."

"Oh... yeah..." Claire said softly as she looked down at the floor. She sighed and then looked at him, "I'm sorry for not saying anything about it... I wanted to try and live a normal life without being called a monster..."

"Hey... as long as you work for me... your life will be far from normal... ask Pepper, she'll tell you everything," Tony said reassuringly as he looked at Claire. The short girl looked up at him before she sighed and looked down a little at the floor under her. She looked up when Fury entered the room and she listened as they started talking. There was a loud slam on the table behind her making her jump and turn around to see Steve.

"PHASE 2 is SHIELD uses the cube to make weapons" Steve said staring at Nick. Claire looked at Nick and frowned. Was this true? Were they really making weapons from the tesseract?

"Sorry, the computer was moving a little slow for me," Steve said as he looked at Fury.

"Rogers, we gatherer everything related to the Tesseract. This does not mean that we're..." Nick started saying but Tony cut him off.

"I'm sorry, Nick" Tony moves the computer screen towards Fury which shows plans of The Weapons, "What were you lying?"

"I was wrong, director. The world hasn't changed a bit" Steve said, at that moment, Thor and Natasha walk into the lab. Natasha keeps her eyes right on Banner. Banner looks at her, clearly mad.

"Did you know about this?" Bruce asked her.

"You wanna think about removing yourself from this environment, doctor?" She asked.

"I was in Calcutta, I was pretty well removed" he said.   

"Loki's manipulating you" she said.            

"And you've been doing what exactly?" Bruce asked.       

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you" she said.

"Yes, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy. I'd like to know why SHIELD is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction" Bruce said.

"Because of him" Nick said pointing at Thor.

"Me?" Thor asked stunned.

"Last year earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned" Nick said.