Chapter 1 Pirate

* A/N I do not own Pirates of the Caribbean, or any of the characters. I only own my own original character. Story contains spoilers for the movies.

Two young girls stood side by side at the bow of the ship, singing softly as they stared into the foggy depths before them: "We pillage, we plunder, we rifle and loot. Drink up me hearties yo ho."

The twelve-year-old twins were dressed in identical sky blue dresses, frills nipped and tucked appropriately, and their hair primped into curls held back behind their faces in neat half-buns.

"We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot. Drink up me hearties yo ho."

That was where the physical differences ended, however. The girl on the right was a pretty blonde with dark brown eyes and a slightly square face, and there was something about her expression that spoke of sweetness and romance. The girl to her left was darker haired, a beauty even at age eleven, with startlingly blue eyes that could sometimes look like grey storm clouds, and a slim oval-shaped face.

"Yo ho, yo ho a pirate's life for me."

And yet, the resemblance between the pair was undeniable. Both held a brightness in their eyes that spoke of intelligence, and each had a gleam hidden there that spoke of playful spirit and passionate independence. Their mannerisms indicated a natural rebel, particularly the brunette whose hands refused to sit still for any period of time, tempered with the best upbringing status could afford.

"We extort, we pilfer, we filch and sack. Drink up-"

The pair were interrupted as a heavy hand landed on each sister's shoulder, startling them. They gasped and whirled around to face Mr. Gibbs, one of the sailors on the ship and the most blatantly superstitious out of all the crew and passengers.

"Quiet, missies!" Mr. Gibbs whispered at the two girls. "Cursed pirates sail these waters. You don't want to bring them down on us, now, do ya?"

The two girls blinked back at him, when a voice called: "Mr. Gibbs!"

Mr. Gibbs turned while the girls peered around the sailor to see Lieutenant Norrington standing there, giving Mr. Gibbs a disapproving look. Governor Swann stood a few paces behind the Lieutenant, watching them as well, particularly his daughters.

"That will do." The young Lieutenant said firmly, and Gibbs replied as he pointed at the girls: "They was singing about pirates. Bad luck to be singing about pirates with us mired in this unnatural fog. Mark my words."

"Consider them marked." The Lieutenant replied dryly before he nodded his head to the side. "On your way."

"Aye, Lieutenant." Gibbs answered before glancing back at the girls and muttering as he walked off: "It's bad luck to have a woman on board, too, let alone two... even two miniature ones."

Governor Swann raised a brow, but Elizabeth piped up: "I think it'd be rather exciting."

"To meet a pirate." Annalise clarified for her sister as she saw the Lieutenant's questioning look. "I think it'd be rather exciting, too."

Norrington gave a thin smile before he said brusquely as he walked over to the girls: "Think again, Miss Swanns . Vile and dissolute creatures, the lot of them."

He stared out into the waters as he said pensively: "I intend to see to it that any man who sails under a pirate flag or wears a pirate brand gets what he deserves – a short drop and a sudden stop."

He smiled at them before looking back out at the sea, while the twins glanced at each other in confusion before looking to Gibbs for an explanation. He mimed a hanging with his scarf, startling them both, and they stared at Norrington in horror.