Chapter 2

To my knowledge, the nearest Yard was several days north, where the kitchen boy had gone and had heard rumors of dragons. The village where my now-previous master's manor was located was not large enough to support a Yard – which was where livestock, including slaves, were sold.

I made the journey in the back of a wheeled cage. Several other slaves were already inside. They huddled together near the door, keeping their distance from me but otherwise not acknowledging my presence.

Every morning one of the men guarding the caravan in which we were a part would toss in several loaves of stale bread, and twice a day we were given flasks of water. Though it was nearly summer, the nights were still cold, and it rained the day after I left. I had no blanket or shawl, but I unfolded the rag that covered my hair and wrapped it around my shoulders. I was careful to replace it before dawn, and I kept my gaze on the worn wood of the wagon's floor.

Half asleep on the third morning, I was vaguely aware of the cage door opening and someone climbing inside. Curling up more tightly in my corner, I opened my eyes enough to see that it was still dark out. I was just trying to fall back asleep when someone sat down beside me with a heavy sigh.

"Morning, sister," a man grunted.

Startled, I carefully opened my eyes. A man crouched next to me, his blue eyes bright in his muddy face. He grinned crookedly and bent his head.

"When do they normally feed us?"

Sitting up, I edged as far into the corner as I could. "Dawn."

With a nod, the man settled back and looked around. He draped his long arms across his knees. "Been here long?"

I darted a quick look to the other slaves before answering. "Three days. I think."

He hummed, and I prayed he would stop the questions. For an hour he was silent. I watched him out of the corner of my eye, pretending to doze. His hair, under all the mud and what the rising sun revealed to be as blood, was certainly pale. He wore a tattered shirt and trousers. His hands were large and calloused.

Then the bread was tossed in and he jumped up, snatching a loaf before the others could move.

Resuming his seat, the man broke the bread without a word and offered me a piece.

"Thank you," I muttered. I had only eaten once since starting my journey.

The man took a large bite and said, around a mouthful, "I thought I was through with this."

I didn't answer but gave him a questioning look.

Grinning ruefully, the man explained. "This being shuffled from one house to another. Mines even, when I was living east. If somebody were to ask where I was from, I don't know that I could rightly say."

He watched me, as if expecting me to tell him all about myself. I kept my mouth shut, though. Nothing good hardly ever came when I spoke. People did not like to be reminded that Shaderi were intelligent enough to speak. And to them I was a Shaderi, if only for the color of my eyes.

The man raised his eyebrow and waited a moment longer. When I still refused to say anything, he shrugged and continued. "I've heard rumors about a dragon in this city we're headed for. Have you?"

I just stared. Maybe if I continued to be so uncooperative he would leave me be.

"I would certainly like to see it. I wonder if it looks at all like the legends make dragons out to be." Leaning back against the bars, he chuckled and shook his head. "That would be a sight: a Shaderi and a dragon, side by side." His smile faded and he glanced at me. "If anyone still believes those stories."