Chapter 17

When the house had been cleaned, breakfast eaten, my hair properly braided and my shirt mended, Hatesa got her bow and told me to follow her.

Hatesa's stride was longer than mine and her lungs deeper. She kept silence at bay during our walk by telling me everything that came to mind. I learned, among other things, that she was older than me, was fond of her horse Dancer, and was proficient with a bow and determined to learn to wield both spear and sword.

We finally came to a gate above which hung a sign emblazoned with crossed spears and bold letters. Beyond the gate rose the din of industry. I hung back as Hatesa approached.

"What are you doing?" Hatesa called, her hand on the gate.

"Why are we here?" I asked.

Pressing her lips together, Hatesa moved toward me. "The king wants you to be useful. If you want him to trust you, you have to prove that you intend to find a place here."

"I do. Just not here here." I jabbed a finger toward the ground between my boots.

Hatesa frowned and snatched at my arm. "Just come. I promise not to give you anything sharp."

In addition to being older and taller than me, Hatesa's efforts to become a deadly warrior solidified her status as the stronger cousin. Grumbling like Runedan when he was hungry, I tripped after her. We were well beyond the gate and the first buildings within the grounds before Hatesa let me go.

Then she was back to talking fast enough to make my head spin. "All of the patrol riders train here. We are required to know at least one weapon, horsemanship, tracking, and signaling in order to stay in our company." She stopped short to scrutinize me. "Do you know anything about weapons?"

Still collecting myself after almost running into her, I stuttered for a moment before shaking my head.

With a one-shouldered shrug, Hatesa spun back. "Just stay behind me and pay attention."

The archery grounds were near the back, past smithies, fenced dueling fields, lines of straw figures, and even a kitchen. Hatesa planted me along the fence and told me to stay. In the next moment I was forgotten as she called out greetings to her fellow soldiers. Tryven was among them.

I had never used a weapon in my life outside of an ax to butcher chickens, and one of the best ways I had found for avoiding trouble was by avoiding the people who understood weapons. Now I found myself surrounded by them - both the weapons and their wielders. Hatesa and her companions – most of them nearer to my age than Erizar's – kept up a steady stream of banter as they released arrow after arrow with deadly accuracy. Then someone shouted a challenge and coins changed hands as the archers achieved and failed the challenge by turns. Hatesa always came out ahead, while Tryven was less likely to succeed.

"I did not expect to find you here."

I sidled away as Hedyr leaned against the fence next to me. His short hair and face were damp and he stank of sweat, despite the cool air. He studied the dwindling line of archers before turning to me.

"I thought you were at the castle," I said.

"I was. I made my report, the king acknowledged it as nothing extraordinary, and I was advised to see to my riders. Did Hatesa bring you?"

I watched Hatesa release two arrows in quick succession. "Yes."

Hedyr followed my gaze. "Not to train you, apparently."

"I didn't ask to come." Even to my ears I sounded like a petulant toddler. I leaned on the fence and avoided Hedyr's gaze.

"Then why did you?" he asked with a laugh.