Chapter 33

Finally, Runedan heaved a sigh. "It seems a great deal has happened this summer."

"Where did you go?" I blurted and instantly regretted it.

Runedan lowered his head to rest near my leg. His eyes were closed. "I wanted to see if everything they said about Umreo was true. I could not accept that King Niloth and the dragon council were the best our kinds had to offer."

I glanced sharply at him but his eyes were still closed. "Umreo?" I repeated.

Runedan heaved a sigh. "Umreo." He opened one eye and regarded me. "I am a great fool, Azadryn. I thought because I had managed to escape, to find this place, that I knew enough to survive it."

When he fell silent, I shook my head. "I don't understand, Runedan."

"I went to join Umreo. I thought, 'Here are Shaderi and dragons who do not let foolish laws hold them back. Who is to say King Niloth is on the right side of this petty war?'" He groaned, a high, wheezing sound, and closed his eye. "I was mistaken. The dragon council and King Niloth have little to recommend them, but they at least have some respect for life and honor. Not so with Umreo's filth. Without Lorkath, I would not have survived."

I set my hand on his leg. "Who is Lorkath? Darriad acted like he knew him."

"A traitor to Umreo, though until recently they did not know. He has been working with Darriad, passing messages so Darriad knows where Umreo will strike. I was attacked trying to escape – to find you – and Lorkath saved me."

Tears stung my eyes and I bit my lip. "I missed you," I whispered.

Runedan sighed wearily. "And I missed you, little bird." He dropped his wing around me. Soon his breathing had deepened.

The sun set and the clouds disappeared. I watched the stars come out. They seemed brighter here than they were in the south. Runedan's heartbeat pounded against my back. The weight on my chest returned, heavy enough to steal my breath as I thought of all Runedan had been through. Like me, he just wanted a place to belong. If people gave me trouble because of my parents, the dragons were worse toward Runedan because of his size and the fact that he was still weak after years of captivity.

I had just started to get settled among Darriad's people. Runedan knew nothing of them, and I wondered if he would want to stay; especially when he discovered how deeply they were embroiled in this war he disdained. He had not hesitated to leave the capital once I was gone. And...he had not searched for me. Not at first.

I swallowed against a sudden lump in my throat.

I wanted to stay; that much I knew. Where else could I possibly go? Back to Lida's people across the river? There was war there, too, and Runedan was not welcome.

Runedan had slipped his tail across my legs before falling asleep. I fingered the tiny scales as I pondered the future. Runedan had come across the river because I had suggested it. This place was not his home, and I had to wonder if it ever could be. Could he find a place here, like I wanted to?

I had started crying without realizing it. Dragging a sleeve across my cheeks, I curled up against Runedan's side and did not fight the tears. I was so tired. It seemed as if there were monsters and mad kings at every turn, keeping me and Runedan from ever finding peace.

"Those tears had better not be for me," Runedan said.

I swallowed hard and dug my heels into my eyes. "I don't know...what to do," I said between sobs.

"About what?"

And then I told him, as best I could, about Erizar and the village. I told him about Hedyr finding me, telling me to be careful before I made a choice. I told him about Darriad, who had known my parents and who was a leader people trusted.