Chapter 36

"Our only hope is to call out Niloth," Darriad said.

I sat in a corner of the command tent, nursing a bowl of hot broth. For the last hour I had listened to reports about the people of Ebenric – all safe for now, but scattered and all-but defenseless – and the results of our attack the day before. Even though I had no rank, Darriad and Hedyr had both insisted I be there. Neither wanted me out of their sight, even if they barely acknowledged my presence.

"He would never listen," a man argued.

"He has to," a woman shot back. "If Umreo makes it as far as the capital, we are all lost. Even after that last battle, he has too many dragons for Niloth's forces to stand against. And they are a different breed of dragon, if you ask me."

"And there are the townspeople to consider," Hedyr threw in. "Niloth's army will be concerned for them as well."

They had been going around this argument for several minutes. Darriad had first suggested that the only chance we had of beating Umreo was for our forces and Niloth's combined to fight against him. If we tried attacking separately, we would all be overwhelmed.

Hedyr had first proposed the idea of rallying Niloth's dragon guard and facing Umreo head-on, while Darriad's army attacked from behind.

"And how do you expect to convince Niloth?" the first man asked. "The king is a proud fool."

"This is the best hope we have. Surely the king must see that."

Darriad shook his head. "Don't be so sure. But we can force him to accept our aid either way. If he refuses to send his troops out in open battle but rather tries to hold the city, we will follow Umreo there slow his attack. We still have a chance, either way."

Several people were still skeptical. "Who's to say Niloth won't have his men attack us as well as Umreo?" one of them challenged.

"Niloth may be a fool," Hedyr said, "but not so great as that."

Someone grunted, unconvinced.

Darriad plunged on. "Who to send?" He shook his head as a man started to speak. "Not me. I'm needed here, and I have a feeling the last person King Niloth will listen to is me."

"Send Hedyr," I said. "If the king were to trust anyone, it would be Hedyr. Even after he left."

Hedyr smiled a little and bowed his head. "I'm willing to try. If the king won't listen, there are others who may."

Briskly Darriad nodded. "Agreed. Very well, you'll go, Hedyr, and I want Azadryn with you. And-"

"Me?" I interrupted. "Why?"

A look from both Darriad and Hedyr silenced me. Without answering my question, Darriad went back to discussing this new plan. He chose two riders to send with us, then asked which dragons were the fastest. Lorkath was the first name offered, and no one argued. I quickly drank my broth and checked the binding on my leg, then slipped from the tent after telling a guard where I was going.

Runedan was resting just outside camp. He had been cut on a hind leg – not deeply – and was weary after a hard day of flying. Without a word, he opened a wing invitingly. I sat beside him and explained our plan.

"When do you leave?" he asked when I was finished.

"As soon as the others are ready. Darriad and Hedyr are going over the route now. I can't...." I twisted my hands in my lap.

Runedan chuckled. "Azadryn, of course I didn't expect to go." When I darted an ashamed glance at him, he snorted. "I cannot keep up with the other dragons and you need all the speed you can muster."