Chapter 35

Umreo's army was making for Ebenric, one of the last strongholds before Niloth's capital; and, judging by the sight of them spread out in the valley below us, their dragons outnumbered ours six to one.

"Have you ever fought at such odds?" Hedyr asked Darriad.

Darriad smiled ruefully. "Once." He turned back to the cluster of men and dragons conferring over a map behind us, saying something about sunrise.

I glanced sidelong at Hedyr, who had crossed his arms and was scowling fiercely. He had not spoken a direct word to me since we left Darriad's city. I drew in a breath. "Hedyr-"

"Best get some sleep," he interrupted without looking at me. "Battles tend to start early."

My heart sank as he moved to join Darriad and the others, leaving me alone to study the enemy camp. Just the sight of it sent all of my carefully-gathered resolve crumbling. Heaving a sigh, I went to find Runedan.

At dawn, with Darriad's horn as our signal, we attacked.

The enemy, arrogant in their strength, did not realize we were coming until our dragons swept over the cliffs north of their camp. We were on them before most of their dragons could take flight.

Runedan was several lines back from the front and we were deep into the enemy force before he needed to use his claws. His smaller body allowed him to move in closer than other dragons. He used this advantage to attack unguarded abdomens and throats. I clutched at his armor and tried to make myself small.

I barely had time to move when the spearhead flashed toward me. I swiped it away, my mouth suddenly dry. Runedan had carried us past the attacker before the spear could strike again.

All around us, weapons rang and humans and dragons screamed and roared. There was no order to it, only mad destruction. I did my best to dodge every attack thrown at me, but the first time I was near enough to return a blow, I hesitated. Was that gold on the dragon's neck?

A force rammed into us, knocking Runedan sideways. He twisted and bucked and scratched at a wing. A hiss of fire made my face sweat behind my mask.

I moved purely on instinct, sliding my leg forward and reaching to cut at the attacking dragon's foreleg. Then Runedan pulled away and I nearly fell.

Open air spread between us and the ground far below. I scrambled back.

"Watch-"

Cold pain cut across my leg. Screaming rage, Runedan twisted to snap his teeth at the attacker. I met the rider's eyes a second before jumping across to slash at his chest. He leaned back. My boot slipped on slick scales. I fell down the dragon's shoulder until my hand caught his ankle. He tried to kick me off. Runedan had disappeared.

My wounded leg hung uselessly. With weak fingers I managed to sheath the ax I had been holding and got a firmer grip on the dragon's leg. He wore no armor, so I had to dig my fingers between his scales for purchase. He was so much bigger than Runedan.

The dragon rolled toward me. I barely had a leg hooked around his talons, but I clung on. He came out of the roll and I inched closer to his shoulder.

A man screamed nearby. I twisted away from the sword overhead, then scrabbled at the sword arm. Gritting my teeth, I pulled hard. The man fell forward, and I let go. His dragon hissed and tried to get at me with his teeth.

"Azadryn!"

Without looking, I released my hold and fell. My hand caught cold iron and Runedan leaned to help me back onto his back.

My wounded leg was throbbing. I managed a quick glance and saw glistening red. It was trickling into my boot.

Runedan abruptly backwinged, throwing me onto his neck. He whipped his long tail around to lash at the attacker's eyes and darted away.