Chapter 5

We arrived at a large city two days later. Tala said the city's lord was one of the men fighting to be king.

This city had an amphitheater within its walls where people gathered to watch performances, often during festivals. It was a place our master visited every year, according to Tala. Here, the dragon was well-known.

I had returned to my wagon when we entered the city, eager to take care of the dragon and be finished. Gaumor came by to watch me as I filled the dragon's bowl with water.

"Bennu's people perform tomorrow," he told me. "You and the dragon will be with me."

I almost dropped the bottle of potion. Not looking at the old man, I carefully added a few drops to the water and replaced the cork, my hand shaking. "You do not need me," I said quietly over my shoulder.

I could just see Gaumor's eyebrows rise out of the corner of my eye. "Getting bold, witch." He stepped closer and I turned to face him. "You would do well to remember your place. You are a slave, and you will do as I command. Be sure your face is clean. No legendary heroes left their faces covered in mud." With a glance at the dragon, he stalked away.

I stared after the man and clenched my fists. No legendary heroes were ever slaves.

"Are you ready to talk?" a voice behind me said.

At the sound, I hunched my shoulders. "No." Slowly I faced the beast. His head was raised. "I want you to leave me alone."

His nearest wing unfolded, the tip brushing the ground. "Even after you know you can hear me, you do not care?"

"Especially after that. I have enough trouble without you opening your mouth and turning children's tales into...." I trailed off with a sharp exhale. Holding the dragon's stare, I beat my fist against my leg. "I don't know about Shaderi and dragons and flying. What I know is that people hate me enough because of the color of my eyes. They hate me more because they think my ancestors were...." I waved my hands helplessly toward him and he folded his wing. "I have more important things to worry about. Thanks to you, people want to kill me more than ever." Using my foot, I edged the trough toward him. "I wish you would be quiet."

I did not see the dragon again until the next morning. Once I wondered if I ought to give him more water, but I could not force myself to go near the wagon until I went to bed.

Gaumor's stories would be presented before midday. I gave the dragon his water and settled into the back of the wagon to mend a stocking. I had not eaten breakfast but did not feel up to it.

A while later, Tala came by with a dress draped over her arm and told me to put it on. "These are not normal commoners who'll be watching. Master wants you presentable."

Without a word, I took the dress. It fit me well enough. I stayed in my tent, determined to wait until the last moment before leaving.

"Girl," the dragon called outside the canvas walls.

Sticking out my head, I snapped, "I told you to leave me alone."

He lay curled up in his usual place, his gaze hard. "I am trying to help you."

"I don't want your help."

Flicking his tail, he said, "You will. I know these crowds. They want a show. If you do not want more cabbages in your face, perhaps you would consider practicing before we go?"

I glared at him.

His chest lifted with something very much like a sigh. "It will not be enough for you to stand next to me," he continued. "If they are not satisfied, it is not I who will suffer Master's anger."