Chapter 24

The silence in the hall was like the calm before a storm. I stood alone in front of the central fire, the warmth at my back hardly sufficient when all I wanted was Runedan's comforting presence. He had been banished to a far corner, under watch of the great black dragon Raivyr, whom we had met on our first day in the city.

The eyes of the entire king's council and their respective dragons were fixed on me, but it was nothing compared to the stony glare of the king himself.

Aridon had laid out my deeds in as brief a narrative as possible, painting me as a naïve, harmless child and Runedan had little better than a half-wit. Aridon respectfully recommended a week in the castle dungeon for my punishment, and then he stepped back into line beside his father, another statue in the courtroom.

While his closest advisors murmured their opinions over his shoulders, King Niloth considered my fate in silence. He massaged the scar over his left eye, his face twisted into a grimace. After a moment, he acknowledged the surrounding advice with a nod and dismissed the men and women to join the line of witnesses below the dais. The queen had to say a word, either to her husband or to me.

"A week in the dungeon seems hardly sufficient to reward such a dangerous act of treason," the gold dragon Edanyx observed in answer to Aridon's recommendation. "What then? When she is released, will she be allowed to continue her folly unchecked?"

"Sire, if I may." Hedyr's voice rang in the hall. Of those who had traveled with me, only he and Aridon had joined the trial. He stepped around me and bowed to the king.

A corner of the king's mouth twitched before he schooled his features back into his hard mask. "You may, sir."

"Erizar is due to return within the week with his report," Hedyr said. "I understand he will then travel to one of the northern posts to assist the guard there. Azadryn only sought to help when she and Runedan engaged in the attack. While her actions were ill-conceived, her intentions were harmless."

The king paused to consider Hedyr's words, his face unchanging. At last he said, "That does not change the fact that Azadryn willfully put her companions at risk to test the training she received from a patrol rider who unlawfully bonded with an unruly dragon and aided her in her quest."

I knew my cheeks were red, but only then did I realize I was also started to hunch my shoulders. With a deep breath, I straightened, keeping my eyes on Hedyr's shoulder.

"I understand that, Sire," Hedyr said. "In my opinion, Azadryn is guilty only of poor judgment, not treason. She has only recently joined our people. She did not know the gravity of her choice. I beg the councils to show mercy. I will vouch for her good intentions."

"What do you propose?" Queen Dunia asked.

"That Azadryn be confined within the castle until Erizar returns. When he sets out for the north post, send Azadryn with him. Let her put her intentions to good use where she cannot cause harm."

He said it without any emotion. Clenching my fists, I turned my head to glare at the stones between my boots.

"And the dragon?" Rajatarak asked.

Hedyr did not hesitate. "Their association must be severed. Send him to the West Guard or to aid in the patrol of the southern villages." My head shot up as he continued. "Somewhere where he can do good, where they will be beyond each other's influence."

"No." My stomach dropped. "No, you cannot separate us." When Hedyr did not acknowledge me, I turned to the king and queen.

Behind me, Runedan gave a whining moan, but we were both ignored.