Chapter 16

4 YEARS LATER

“Aimee, where’s you’re coat?” I shout up the stairs.

“Katelyn’s got it,” Amiee replies in her soft voice as she peaks down the stairs at me.

I look up at her and see her perfect brown hair fall from where it was tucked behind her ear. I smile at her and she returns my given smile.

“Katelyn, we’re going to be late.” I shout.

“I’m coming mummy,” Katelyn says, rushing to the top of the stairs and holding onto the banister.

I watch her begin to slowly walk down the stairs followed closely by Aimee.

For all they were twins, they didn’t look alike. Aimee looked like me but Katelyn was her dads double. Her green eyes and dirty blonde hair made me think of Joe every time.

They stop in front of me on the last step and I look down at them.

“Do we have to go into work with you today?” Katelyn asks me as I bend down and take the jacket off her.

“Yes, you do. There’s no one left to watch you and I’m not leaving you alone,” I tell her as I put the jacket on Aimee.

“Mummy, can we go shopping later? I want to look pretty for our party,” Aimee says as I zip her jacket up.

“I’ll think about it if you’re both good,” I explain to her as I put Katelyn’s jacket on her and zip it up.

“Mummy, why do we live in such a big house when there’s only one…three of us?” Aimee asks after counting each one of us individually.

“Aimee, we’ve had this talk before…” I start.

“Sorry, mummy…” she apologises, bowing her head down so I can’t see her face.

“Aimee, I’m not going to shout at you. Aimee look at me." She slowly lifts her head up and looks up at me. “Don’t make it hard for me to explain again. You’ll understand later in life. Now move or I’m not going to take you two out shopping later.”

They jump down off the last step and run to the front door. They both pull at the handle and run out towards my car. I follow them out and set the security alarm before closing the front door over and locking it. I walk over to the car and help them get in.

Once I put them in their car seats, I get into the drivers seat and drive to work – but why did I suddenly have a bad feeling about today?

Joe’s POV

I stand in front of the green screen as the photographer takes my photo.

“Joe, raise your head a little…that’s it.” The photographer directs me.

“Come on, Harty. Show a little more enthusiasm like you used to do!” Adam shouts at me.

I shake my head and walk over to them. “Easy for you lot to say when you don’t have a fiancée nagging at you 24/7.”

“Is Kim that bad?” James asks.

“’That bad’? She’s dragged me all over England to try and find the perfect location for our wedding and still, she can’t decide!”

“Why is she so fussy?” James asks, leaning back against the table.

“Better yet, why have you stayed with her after telling that Chelsea girl that you loved her instead of Kim?” Adam counter asks, looking serious.

“This again? I told you lot a million times-” I start.

“You haven’t told us a million times! Harty, you just showed back up here after coming back from a broken leg in the car crash, acting as if you never cheated on Kim. Since then, you haven’t been yourself and quite frankly, I miss the old Harty. Not this one that seems to have forgotten who the hell he actually loves and wants to spend the rest of his life with!” Adam shouts.