FIFTEEN

"Hey Kalin," I said, sitting down next to him at his lunch table. I knew i was being bold but I wanted to let him know I still liked him. He looked at me indifferently and got up to put his food away in the trash. I was left staring at the wall, embarrassed beyond compare. I got up with a blank face and went up to him at the trash bin.

"What was that about?" I asked, grabbing his arm. He gave me the stink face and snatched his arm away from me. "So you're all of a sudden talking to me since I poured my heart out to you? Shouldn't you be with your boyfriend anyway? I'm not looking like a fool again Melanie. Matter fact, give me my jacket back. Liars don't deserve gifts." He ripped the jacket from off my shoulders, leaving my arms red from the roughness of his touch.

My mouth dropped open and I gritted my teeth in anger. This was the second time he's talked to me reckless and I'm not having it.

"Now you get this straight. Me and Rob ARE NOT DATING. We never were. And I'm not sure why you're talking to me any type of way when I'm trying to mend what you and I BOTH broke. You know, I'm tired of getting hurt every time you're hurt. Do you want me to be your friend or not? I'm not chasing after you."

He stared at me hard and spoke. "No."

"Aight bet," I said laughing. "You won't hear from me no more." I walked away, tears running down my face. I was so weak, yet so strong.

$$$

I sat down next to Rob, sighing. "What was you doing over there with Kalin, Melanie?" He said, putting down his burger and tilting his head with a look on his face. I knew I was bout to get yelled at, and I didn't feel like hearing it. "I know youre bout to yell at me Rob and I really don't feel like listening. I was trying to be cool with him again and he blew me off. That's all."

"That's all?!" He shouted. "That's all?! That's all? You muuuuust think I'm 'Boo Boo the Fool', cause I'm not stupid enough to believe that. You were over there tryna win him over so y'all can date again. Everyone knows you still like him, Melanie. It's not a secret. And im telling you straight up as your friend, you're being stupid. He hasnt changed since the months he hit you!"

"Aight so you gone stop yelling at me," I started. "Because I'm not some chick off the street. I know what I'm doing, and I also know I'm old enough to not get yelled at by you. You're not my father or my mother so chill out. I'm not interested in getting back together with him, I was just trying to mend our friendship. He doesn't want it, so I'm not sure why you're yelling at me." I rolled my eyes.

He sat there for a while and stared at something behind me. "You know, I really didn't think you could get any dumber. But obviously I was wrong. I'm not supporting your dumb decisions Melanie. Is it me? Or is it him?'

"Rob what are you talking about? I just said he didn't want to be friends with me, so why you tripping?" I was so confused.

"You don't understand, Melanie. Im not going to support you if you keep on going back to him. So is it ME? Or is it him?"

"Look, I'm not here for your attitude, and you're not gonna sit up here and call me stupid. But it's not him, so I guess neither of you." I tilted my head to the side like he just did to me minutes ago.

"Okay cool," He said, getting up. "I don't need you."

With that he walked out of the lunchroom, and out of my life. I'm being pretty dramatic, because we'd probably be back together by next week, but it felt as if he was walking out of my life for good.