Chpt. 2

I put a gun against James' head as I lead him into the base. The others picked him up and took him to "Black Core" which is code for the room where they brainwash or interrogate you. Basically it's the worst room in the entire base. Thomas walked up to me, just about ready to pass out. "How in the world did HYDRA hire you?" I laughed.

"Where is Timothy? His comm broke up at the cafe, I couldn't hear him at all and now he's not here. Where is he? I don't s-," Thomas wouldn't stop talking so I threw a tiny hearing illusion at him which made him quiet down.

"Timothy came too quickly, he was hit by the bomb." Thomas just gasped, walking back from me.

"H-he, is he dead?" I hesitated to answer, Tim and Tom knew each other even before HYDRA but no one knew that besides me and them.

"I'm so sorry Thomas." He was in shock and ran up to his sleeping division.

"Agent Alexandrine, come with me." Herr was standing behind me with two guards behind me. "Your partner will need some time to cool off anyway," He told me. I nodded and followed him to Black Core

::::::::::

When we walked into the room, James was already strapped down but they left his metal arm unattended. "Why not strap the metal arm? That's the part of him that's the biggest threat, is it not?" I asked.

"Well, one of the programmed reflexes of his arm is that it would instantly break something that places too much pressure on itself. The straps are, theoretically, too much pressure," The scientist told me. I nodded my head and turned back to James.

"Herr, why am I here?" I asked, he turned and back to me, tentative to answer.

"James needs a person to calm his nerves before we start the routine, with the new machine we're not sure if he'll react differently. You'll be the person to calm him down," He told me, "And if you don't calm him down, you'll have to go through Code Hawk." Herr threatened. A pit in my stomach anchored down my body, before I walked over to James.

"Herr Elias-," he turned to the scientist "-he's growing tenser." They told him. Herr Elias turned back to me and glared.

"EVERYONE OUT!" He hollered. The soldiers and a scientists rushed out until it was just him and me. "You have 8 minutes, I will be counting." He left the room as well which left me alone with James, I turned to him and checked his stress levels. They were high, but I could help. I sort of had to.

"So, you saw me grow up?" I asked. He looked up at me, quite confused.

"Uh...yeah. You were a nice kid."

"Look, if you remember me then you remember the way I used to treat you. Think about that, think of those moments and focus on them." He closed his eyes, I could tell he was a bit calmer but not completely. "Relax your muscles. Act like you're drifting in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. You're at peace, all you're thinking about are calming things." He laid back into his chair and his toned arms relaxed on the armrests. "Great, now imagine a meadow, just green and white flowers from as far as the eyes can see. Just you, the meadow, and the crystal blue sky."

"You were always so good at this. You preferred the field over the brainwash room though," He said hazily. Part of me wanted him to shut his mouth before I end up in the same chair, but the other was desperate for him to continue. I chose the latter.

"Oh, really? Now I'd much rather just stay inside the building." I told him. He opened his eyes and looked at me.

"You still have the scar from our last mission together." He whispered.

"What was out last mission together?" I asked.

"We were in Paris, France, robbing a rich architect from there." He put his hand and rubbed his thumb on the scar on my left shoulder blade but Herr Elias opened the door which made me slowly lean James back into the leather chair. Herr ignored us and checked the Stress Levels.

"Huh, back down to 18:100." He chucked. Before it was 94:100

"You're safe, Alexandrine," He told me. I mentally grasped onto my chest and let out a breath in relief as I got up from my chair. "No, no, no, You stay beside him in case he wants to do something he'll regret," Elias told me. I nodded my head and slowly sat back into the metal chair beside him. James looked at me attempted to reach out for my hand with his flesh arm but it was still strapped. I slipped my hand into his and for the first time, I saw him, a HYRDA assassin/sniper/spy, smile. Of course I am the only one in this entire base.

"Call me Bucky, if you will." I smiled at him just before he went into his almost eternal screaming. I shook back when he said it, I felt a little different for some reason, I'm not sure how I felt different though. It wasn't a good feeling or a bad feeling it was...a feeling...I guess.

::::::::::

After Bucky's 20 minutes of pain they deactivated the machine and he sat in silence for a moment. I looked straight at the scientist but when he gripped his hand tighter around mine, I couldn't help but glance back at him. He was breathing heavily, his hair shielding his face from anyone from seeing it. I was eager to pull his hair back but HYDRA might question my memory and put me back in the torture...thing. He looked up at me, then at his hand which was now squeezing my wrist.

"You're a strong girl, Alexa." He croaked in a weakened tone. Alexa, almost makes me sound normal. A scientist came closer to him to check his arm, I looked at the other scientists who were hiding behind the guards. I turned back to Dr.Fulton, the scientist about to check Bucky's arm, and he was sweating and shaking like crazy. He slowly put two fingers on James' metal arm. He had a tiny grin that was barely noticeable but I easily noticed. After the physical test, it was time for the main test to see if the brainwashing part actually happened.

"Tell me, what is your name?" Herr Elias asked.

"James Buchanan Barnes."

"Who do you work for?"

"The Avengers." Some let out groans and others sighed but Herr put his finger up and everyone quiet down.

"And are they good people?" Herr asked. All the scientists subtly scooted closer to James and me.

"Yes. And their Captain, Steve Rogers, is my closest friend." Herr stared in anger. "And Alexandrine Gunther was my partner while I worked with HYDRA. I trained her, everything I knows, she knows. So she knows how to do the 'Flying Ring Master' ". I was confused and scared and just annoyed but I understood what he meant.

"The Flying Ring Master" I mumbled.

"Alexandrine, what is this madness about?" Elias asked.

"It's-" I looked to them, if I told Herr Elias they'd do painful things to me and Bucky. "I don't know." I did know I'd course, but I had my own way of telling him.

James, I need you to not freak out or talk out loud.

What? Who the hell is talking to me?

It's Alexandrine, and we're not talking, we're communicating through mind reading. I can help you.

"Well if it's nothing than I guess we'll have to wait until he's back to coping with this new environment." Herr said. "Alexandrine, escort him to your room."

"My room? Why my room?" I asked.

"That way if he tries to escape you'll be there to stop him before he can even get out of bed." Herr told me, "And because those are your orders." I nodded my head silently. The scientists unstrapped him and the guards cuffed him. After all the dramatics, I led him to my room.