Broken (The Charade Trilogy)

Broken: Prologue

It was the morning after I got shot. I lied in a hospital bed, staring at the ceiling, trying to recollect my thoughts from the night before. Trying to not to remember the scrutinizing pain that came with the flying bullet.

Harry screamed for us to duck, but I was too focused on Celine. I couldn't tell how she was feeling-- relieved to see us or upset. She should've felt relieved, but the look on her face would tell you otherwise. But why would she be upset that we came to rescue her from such a horrid scene?

The guy was vulgar, the way he looked at us. The way he stood there.

I've never been so scared in my life. Not scared for myself, but scared for Celine. She was inside a dump with a stranger that was using her for sex and sex only.

Well at least we thought he was a stranger. . .

His face. The look on his face stuck in my head like a piece of gum on a hot blacktop in the summer time.

He had a smirk planted on his lips, as if shooting me was entertaining and he didn't regret it one bit. Sickening is the word.

I studied the bloody bandage wrapped around my shoulder. It didn't make me sick-- seeing all the blood. What made me sick was the hospital food.

I was staying in Grant's hospital, located right on campus. I was the only student there but it was perfect.

I tried moving my shoulder but ended up screaming instead.

A head popped in the doorway of my hospital room. I noticed the bright smile right away.

The pain went away when I made eye contact with Harry. Just looking at him made my heart speed up.

I haven't talked to him since before we found Celine. And same with Niall.

But I didn't care about Niall anymore.

I had realized that Harry and I were meant for each other and we promised each other that.

But it wasn't long until I found my smile quickly fading when he walked in, holding Celine's hand.

Is this what jealousy feels like?

But how could I possibly be jealous? I don't even know if I love him.