Chapter 7

Broken

I spent my time stacking books in the library with Celine. Though, we never usually stack together. She always clings to Harry's arm and goes wherever he goes.

Something must've happened.

She wasn't acting normal. Her normal being: taking up every second to talk about her and Harry and how much she loves him. It got old a long time ago but I still always listened.

Nudging her shoulder, I quietly whispered, "what's the matter?"

She looked startled and she stared at me, her eyes searching mine.

Confusion was written all over her face. She shook her head quickly and returned back to her stacking.

She was lost. And I mean, more lost than usual.

Niall walked into the doors with an umbrella held over his head. That's when I realized how badly it was raining. The thunder was loud and the wind was wicked. Blowing branches off trees and blowing papers around like tumbleweed in a dessert. Total chaos.

I strutted, cooly, over to Niall --half joking. Trying to pretend nothing happened between us was almost close to impossible, but I figured out a way to spark conversation; I brought up Harry.

"Where's Romeo?" I joked, standing across a table from Niall.

He shrugged his shoulders, while scanning the semi-large library.

I followed his eyes. "He's not here. I just said that . . ."

"I know he's not."

"Then what are you looking for?" I questioned immediately.

The loud thunder and the rain drops hitting the roof like bullets added some tension. I was scared. Weird things were happening with my friends.

Celine was quiet. Niall was suspicious. And Harry was MIA.

I appeared to be the only sane one left. At least that's what I assumed.

"Is Celine here?" Niall whispered, leaning closer to me.

I nodded, slowly and confused. Why was he worrying so much about Celine all of a sudden?

He looked panic-stricken when Celine jaunted out from behind a book case.

His glance fell to the floor, along with his head.

Celine gave him a painful expression. I tried pinching myself to see if I was in one of those twisted dreams that people always have. But to my unlikeliness, it was real life.

"Niall." Celine barked.

Niall lifted his chin and they both made eye contact at last.

I stood back and watched the two stare into each other's eyes.

"Celine, I told you the truth so leave me alone now!" Niall yelled.

I looked behind me to see if the librarian was still there. She wasn't. She must've left. I could really use her right now to talk to.

Celine shook her head viciously. "No. You don't tell the truth until it's shared with her." She pointed to me and I caught my heart beating at a faster and faster tempo.

That's when I decided to grab my bags and run. I didn't care how bad it was raining. I needed to get home and talk to Harry. Maybe he knows something that I don't.