Chapter 3

Broken

Niall and I sat across from each other at a booth located in a local pizzeria just down the street from campus. We talked about our classes and our homes, but we mostly talked about Harry and Celine.

"Don't you think they were acting weird today?" Niall demanded, taking a sip of his soda.

I didn't speak at first because I was beginning to get annoyed with the topic of those two. It came up in every conversation I had with Niall and every time I tried changing the subject, he always ignored me and continued to talk. But he was right, they were acting weird.

I nodded my head to agree with him. "Yeah. I talked to Harry and he mentioned that Celine is finally starting to get comfortable with their relationship."

"Or he's trying to rub it in your face. . ."

He stopped his statement there and didn't do any explaining until I asked.

"Why would he rub it in my face?"

Niall shrugged his shoulders. "Well, he probably wants you to get a taste of how it really feels to be jealous."

What Niall said did make sense. Perfect sense actually, because Harry always saw me and Niall together, kissing or holding hands. He never actually told me he was jealous but I could tell that he was with the way he treated Niall. And maybe that's why he keeps doing what he's doing with Celine, perhaps even more, because I'm not treating Celine how Harry treated Niall. Therefore, Harry must continue to make out with Celine in front of me so I get fed up and tell Celine to stop. That way, Harry would know that I actually love him. But how did Harry know that I loved him? Do I even know?

"Harry's playing games with you, Skylar. But you got to stop and ask yourself if he's really worth it." He stopped to take a bite of pizza. "Or if you're missing someone that's right in front of you."

My heart felt crushed and it was Niall's fault. He practically told me to not trust Harry - to stop being his friend because he's "playing games with me". I don't appreciate Niall telling me who to be friends with. He's always been so protective of me and it's about time I say something.

I stood up erectly and looked at him, coldly. "And who are you to tell me who I should trust and who I shouldn't?" Before leaving I slammed my fist on the table, leaving behind a five dollar bill to pay for my food.

I bolted out the door as the bell jingled, practically falling off the hook.

And of course, Niall followed.

He grabbed my wrist and whipped my body around to face his. "Skylar, I'm sick of you making scenes like that in public!"

I chuckled sarcastically to myself before continuing. "Well then maybe you shouldn't take me places anymore!"

He shook his head and ran his fingers through is hair in a frustrated kind of way. "Listen," he began. "I took you out today to tell you something very important but as we can both see, it didn't turn out."

"You took me out to tell me that Harry is playing games with me?" I shook my head in disbelief.

Why was Niall acting like such a jerk lately? I wish I knew.

"No!" He yelled instantly. "I took you out to tell you that I still have feelings for you . . ."

We stared blankly into each other's eyes before I looked at the ground, embarrassed.

I regret everything I said or did to him. If only he would've told me sooner instead of hinting to me because I hate hints.

There was more silence until I finally said something. "That's unfortunate."

I closed my eyes and put my hands over my mouth as soon as I realized what I just told one of my best friends.

Okay, so maybe I didn't think about what I was going to say but I had to break the awkward moment of silence. How could I be so rude? He'll never want to talk to me again. Heck, I don't even want to talk to myself right now.

He bowed his head before taking off in the other direction, leaving me to walk back to campus alone.

I watched him as he walked away, his head hung low and his shoulders slumped. I could tell that he was trying to make it look like he didn't care but I know Niall. Well I knew him, at least.