Chapter 13: Mack?

It was dark and so cold. Everywhere I looked there was nothing but total darkness. I tried to run, but it was useless, I was stuck. The air around me felt stiff and old, like the inside of a guy's gym bag. I walked a little bit in still pitch black until I saw another person come into view. They were bent over something, or rather someone, crying furiously. "Why." They whispered over and over.
"Are you alright?" My voice came out cracked and broken as if I hadn't anything to drink for hours. 
They turned to face me and I froze. It was Mack. "Ellie," She croaked out. "Oh, Ellie."
I knelt beside her and she dropped onto me instantly. "Oh, Ellie, help me. I'm lost, and hurt, and I just can't do it alone." She cried into my shirt. I held her closer as her cries become louder.
 I took a a quick look around. We were in an alley off to the side of a busy street. Filth and trash littered the small area, it looked as if it hadn't been cleaned in years. It was a familiar place, though, like I'd been there before, but not in awhile. I take a daring glance at the body and gasp. A hand coming to my mouth as I saw him laying there lifeless. He looked at peace, but it hurt worse than being hit by a train. His curls were messed up and a small bullet hole in his side gushed blood.
"How'd... How'd this happen, M-Mack?" I asked shakily. 
"I heard yelling," She got out in between cries. "I heard yelling and followed the noise to this alley." She paused again. "I heard a gunshot and then some men ran out so I went in, obviously, and there he laid. He was dying when I knelt down." She gasped. "Oh, Ellie, it was horrible, and there was nothing I could do. He was dead in a matter of seconds. 
"No." I cried. "No this can't be! He can't be dead. I saw him just last night." I shook my head. "He can't be dead! People aren't supposed to die this early on in life!" I couldn't stop staring at the body. "Rafe, can't be gone."

........

I sat straight up, breathing hard, and shaking. I hate nightmares! Especially when they're pieces of memories threaded through them.
"Ellie!" Janna shrieked. "Are you okay?!" She shot up from beside me. "You were talking and crying in your sleep."
"I'm okay, Jan, go back to bed." I started to get out of bed. "I'm going to get a drink I'll be back." Grabbing my phone, I left the from.
Finding a spot on the couch I sent Mack a quick message containing one word: sorry. Then went to my videos. I hit play on one. 

"What's up, people? Phillip and El here!" Jasper laughed as I waved at the screen. "We're here to wish everyone a merry freakin' Christmas!" He shouted.
You could tell he was high, but no one cared. 
"Speak to the lovely, or I think they're lovely, people, Eleanor." He nodded from the twelve year old me, to the phone, and back.
"Hello, lovely people, it's nice to see ya." I blew a kiss. "And to Leigh who's more then likely watching this; Yes I should be in bed right now, but Mads snuck me out." 
"That's right!" Madison giggled, popping onto the screen. 
"Crap! My phone's about to die. Everyone quickly come here." Japser motioned turning the phone sideways. "On the count of three, okay?" CJ, Ivy, Ty, and Mack appeared with us.
"Here we go. These are my trouble makers and we're here to say...." He trailed off.
"Merry Christmas!" Everyone chorused together, and with that the video ended. 

Japser taught us everything from breaking and entering to smoking to everything in between.
I smiled at the video before getting up and walking to the kitchen. 
It was already seven in the morning and Jerica still wasn't back, oh well she more then likely fell asleep on Mag's couch again. 
I looked down at my phone when it went off.
FROM MACK: I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN, EL.
She was the closest old friend I had. It was Mack who was crying over Rafe's body in that alley.

.......... 

"British girl, wait up!" An oh so familiar Australian voice called, from down the hallway. 
I waited as he caught up. "Ello, Rafe." 
"Hiya, love." He kissed my hair. "Did you miss me?"
"Always." We continued the walk to class together. 
Rafe launched into an explanation of something he didn't like, but honestly I wasn't listening. My attention was on two brunette who stood by the classroom doors, Grace and Mack. 
"Oh, look, Mack, it's Eleanor!" Grace said with fake enthusiasm. "And who's that with her?"
"Rafe." Mack answered. "Her boyfriend."
"Not for long." Grace mumbled as they disappeared into the room. 
This was Rafe's class, not mine and I didn't want him spending two seconds alone with that female dog. 
"Let's skip class." The words fell out of my mouth. 
"What?" Rafe asked, taken back by the sudden request. "You want to ditch?"
I nodded. "Yeah, I just really don't like this class. Plus this is Magnus and Jerica's free period, and we haven't seen them all day." I assured him. I knew we'd get in trouble, but that sounded like a better option then sending him in there with that girl. 
"Okay." He sighed. "Let's go find our friends." He grabbed my hand and pushed open the doors that led to the back of the school.
"Oh yeah," Rafe started. "Dad revoked my grounding." 
"That's awesome, Rafe!" I said happily. 
"But there's one condition," He paused.
I nodded for him to speak.
"You have to come to dinner with Dad and me at the diner Mum works at." He rushed out, looking down at his shoes. 
"Yeah, sure, whatever. That's totally cool."
We spot our friends and walk over.
Jerica and Magnus sat under a giant oak tree reading some book.
"You bad kids." Jerica shook her head, making red strands go everywhere.
"That'd be us." Rafe laughed and took a seat by Magnus, pulling me down onto him. 
My phone rang ruining the calm moment. 
"Hey, Jasper." I greeted. 
"Ellie. Ellie, my little one, I'm afraid I have bad news." Jasper's voice cracked. "Niklaus died three minutes again." 

#############################################
Ellie might have had a premonition of the future in this chapter, or it might have just been a nightmare. And Nik is dead. Until next time, when both of Rafe's parents appear. - Izzy