Chapter 17: Friends Don't Lie

*Mack's POV* (Surprise!)

"So," Grace cocked her head, leaning back unto the desk behind her. "You want me to slip this in her drink while Adam distracts her?" She asked and held up a small vile.
"You are correct." Jasper agreed. He'd shown up about a hour ago.
"This isn't right, ya know." I mumbled. "She doesn't deserve this." 
It was true Ellie and I weren't the best of friends,-although sometimes I wish we were-but she did not deserve to be treated or tricked like this. I couldn't believe Adam had said yes to helping them. 
"Mack!" Grace snapped her fingers in front of my face. "Are you even listening!" She demanded.
"Nope." I shrugged a shoulder. "Was it worth repeating?"
The brunette scoffed and flipped part of her hair back. "We were going over your part of the plan. Keep up, Chica." She turned her attention to Jasper. "Why do we actually need her again?"
I rolled my eyes. "Thanks Gracie." I said sarcastically.
"We need her to distract Ellie's pesky friends so you can work." Jasper answered. "I mean have you seen them? They never leave her alone. It's like-"
"What if I don't do it" I cut him off. "What if I don't want to do it?"
"You don't have a choice, Mack." Grace said in a duh tone. "You do whatever I want."She laughed as if I was the silliest thing in the world.
"And what if I don't do it?" I questioned. "Because where you're wrong, Grace, is I'm a person. I have a choice and my choice is not to help you do this."
"Mackenzie-"
"No." I said sternly. "Ellie used to be my best friend, okay, I know what he did to her, and I won't let it happen again. She doesn't deserve it." I headed toward the door. 
"Yes, she does." Grace defended. 
"Why because he wants her that way!" I pointed toward Jasper angrily. "Did you ever stop to think that the only reason Charles had a gun to his head was because of Jasper. Ellie wouldn't have hurt your brother for the world if it weren't for him." I grabbed the doorknob. "You can do what you want but I'm not helping you." I opened the door and started to leave. 
"Where are you going!" Jasper interrogated.
"To find Jack I heard he's in town." With that I left.

...

It was cold outside, luckily I'd remembered a jacket before I left this morning. I think the temperature now was around fifty-five or so and the wind was bone chilling. I slipped my phone out, opened Jack's contact, and began to type a text.

Can you meet me somewhere? I have to tell you something? - M
He replied a minute later: I'm taking El to see Adam, what ya need? 
I didn't like the idea of El and Adam in the same place.
No! Don't take Ellie to Adam. In fact, keep her away from Adam at all times. - M
Why, Mack what's up? - J
I'd prefer to tell you in person, but you can't bring her - M
You're scaring me. - J
Good. - M
Meet me at the diner in ten minutes. - J
I smiled at the screen before sliding it back into my pocket. 
The diner wasn't too far away from here. A hole in the wall place, basically, with red and white tiles covering every wall. It had stairs that led up to the door due to the fact the door was kinda high up. 
Reaching the diner, I took a seat on the steps outside and waited for him.
I wasn't sure how to tell Jack what I'd heard, or even if he'd believe me after everything I've done. Or maybe, like Adam, he already knew and was apart of the plan. If he was he'd probably take me straight to Jasper, who'd make sure I was out of the way. I can't wrap my head around why anyone would want the old Eleanor back.
She was a depressed mess who doubled as her brother's servant. Not many knew that if Ellie didn't obey Jasper he'd get mad and hurt her, but I did. She used to come over at odd times of the day crying and hurt, so we'd sit in my room until Jasper left for work and then we would both go to her house. 
She would have never gone to jail if it wasn't for him. If it wasn't for the drugs I would have been there to stop her. And trust me, I blame myself everyday for what happened to her. 
See she likes to say Grace broke us apart when we were eleven, but her head's messed up. The thing that drove us apart was her brother and the work she had to do. She said she liked it, that she did it on her own, and people bought it. Not me though because I knew of the little girl who was scared stiff of her older brother. 
"Mack." Jack's voice cut through my thoughts like a knife. "What's up?"
I hopped to my feet. "Eleanor's in trouble." I stated. 
"What kind of trouble?" He asked as we entered the diner. 
"Serious trouble. Jasper and Grace have devised a plan to hurt her."
"Hurt her?" He echoed, sitting down at a booth. 
"Yeah, and Adam's in on it." I sat across from him. "They plan to distract her tomorrow, but just long enough for Grace to put the drugs in her drink." I told him.
"Drugs? Like actual drugs?" He sat forward. "How much?"
I moved my fingers apart to resemble the bottle. "A lot." 
"Not good," He sighed. "Not good at all." He grabbed one of my hands. "That could set her back, and she's doing so good." 
Taking a deep breath, I sighed. "I know, that's why we have to stop them." I leaned forward to brush the hair out of his face. I know what you're thinking, and ew no it was just a harmless gesture. Jack is like a brother.
"What's the plan?"
"I was hoping you'd have one." I revealed with a small smile. He always had the ideas. 
"Then good thing for us I do have a plan." He smiled. 
I nod, signaling for him to go on. 

"Adam and I are suppose to start school tomorrow so I'll just stay on him nonstop. The only classes we don't have together are Biology and geometry."
"What periods?"
"Second and fourth, why?"
"Because that just so happens to be when I have those classes so I'll look after him. But Grace is the bigger problem." I sat back and sighed again.
"Does she still like me?" Jack asked, raising an eyebrow, causing me to nod. "Okay then I'll take care of her when you can't. I mean it's not like she'd say no to me." He laughed, got up, and came to sit beside me.
He wrapped an arm around me, pulling me close.  "You're not lying to me, Mack, are you?" 
"Friends don't lie."  I laid my head on his shoulder.
He smiled down at me. "You know we will stop them, Mack."
"Promise?"
"Promise."

#############################
One chapter left.......... - Izzy