Chapter 14: Pain and the Truth

A/N: Flashback throughout the chapter

"Seems like it was yesterday when I saw your face. You told me how proud you were, but I walked away. If only I knew what I know today" 

Pain. Pain is something everyone will feel in their life time. Physical and or emotional, and right now I felt both.
The phone dropped from my hand, clamoring to the floor with a thud. Niklaus was dead. I'd seen him almost two weeks ago and he was recovering just fine. But now he was dead. Dead as in not coming back, ever. 

As the tears threatened to spill, I shuffled to my feet and began toward the school. My friends were calling after me, but I couldn't talk, not right now at least. Somehow Rafe had heard what Jas had said, and was telling the others.
The bathroom was the closest door to the entrance. 
The minute the door slammed, the tears started. There was no stopping tears after they'd started to flow down your cheeks.
"Ellie?" A voice called softly. "Eleanor, are you alright?"
Blinking a few tears away, Mack's figure became clear.
"Oh, El, sweetheart." She took a step so that she stood in front of me. "Jasper, he.. um.. just text me. I'm so sorry." She pulled me into a tight embrace. "This shouldn't have happened." She whispered. "Not to you, and definitely not today."
I nod into her shoulder. "Light blue." I mumbled, casting a glance at her clothes. "Light blue for Phillip."
She wore a light blue sweater and skinny jeans. "Yeah, light blue for today." She pulled back a little bit. "We match." She then pulls me back to her as we slide to the floor. 
It was true I was wearing a light blue long-sleeve and jeans.
"He liked it when we matched." I breathed out.
"Yeah.. yeah he did." Mack paused to wipe away a couple tears. "You know I bet Nikki and Phillip are together somewhere laughing and telling stories about how stupid we were or are."
I tried to smile but it faltered. "I bet so, Mack."
I couldn't help but notice we were sitting like we had in the nightmare, except this time our makeup was ruined. "I wish we could go back in time." I thought out loud.
"Back to when we were fourteen and the date March 10 didn't carry a burden unbearable for two girls." She agreed, her blue, teary eyes meeting mine and staying there. "Back to when he kept us together."
"Phillip liked us together it made him happy to-" I trailed off, looking to the floor. 
"To have his best girls in the same room." She finished, bringing one hand up to my face to make me look at her. "You didn't do it, El, one matter what you think. You didn't cause his death." 

 " I would hold you in my arms, I would take the pain away" 

"Tell me something, Phillip," I turned to watch him as he came up another step.
Phillip took the cigarette out of his mouth.  "Anything, Princess." He stopped on the step with me. 
"Why are climbing the old concrete steps leading to the ledge at ten at night?" I started up another step.
"Because it'll be fun, British girl, besides it's the best place to see the full moon." He took my hand in his and led me the rest of the way. 

"Why don't you come home with me today." The brunette suggested, looking through the mirror.
After crying over our brothers and lover, we had pulled ourselves enough to talk. 
"Why?" My throat was raw from crying. 
"I don't know, I just feel like we should be in the same place." She shrugged. "Besides aren't you going to have dinner with his family?" 
"Yeah, I'm supposed to meet Rafe at five. " It felt weird to say his name for some reason.
"You know he'd love Rafe. They'd get along well." Mack smiled. "Come on, I'll help you get ready." She led me out and to the exit, but my mind wouldn't leave that night.

"Thank you for all you've done. Forgive all your mistakes"

"Look at the view." I gasped. 
"Not as pretty as what I see." He remarked. 
"Cheesy, Phillip, real cheesy babe." I wrapped an arm around his neck. "Good thing I like you anyway." I kissed his cheek before sitting down. 
"That's all I get?" He asked and sat next to me. 
"For now," I leaned back against him. "Besides how am I suppose to kiss you with that thing between your lips." I looked up at him as he removed the cig.
"Shush," He hummed. "I happen to like it." 
"I know ya do." I snatched it from his hand, took a puff, then handed it back. "I don't see why though."
"Why do you like doing bad?" He countered. 
I shrugged against him. "I don't know, just do, I guess." 
"See same reason I smoke." 
I sat up a little. "To look cool?" I questioned softly.
"No, because I like it, dollface." He closed the space between us and pressed his lips to mine.
We stayed like that for a while until he pulled away. 
"I love you, El." He spoke in a hushed voice. 
"I love you too, Phil." I lead my head back on his chest. "Did you bring anything to drink?"
"Not anything your mama and daddy would like." He chuckled and took a bottle of something out of his backpack. 
"Oh goody," I laughed, taking a quick sip. "Alcohol." I sputtered out. I hated the taste.
He took a sip. "Yep. Why would it be anything else."
I gigged. "I wouldn't expect anything less from my brother's number one student." I kissed him again.