Chapter 15 : Comfort

Chapter 15

Jeff POV

I spun around, still trying to find an exit. I spotted a sliding glass door, without too much fire around it. I quickly went over to it, and pulled the handle, but it wouldn't budge. Since the house had half collapsed, it was putting weird pressure on the door, not allowing it to open. It was stuck shut.

I looked around me for something I could use to break it. I didn't see much of anything.

I set Alex down on the floor by my feet.

"Cover your face," I said.

She covered her face with her hands. I wrapped one of my hands around the other, making a big fist. This is going to hurt...

I slammed my hands into the glass, and the whole thing shattered. It felt like the bones in my hands shattered too. It hurt so bad!

The house was beginning to collapsed even more. I need to hurry up!

I kicked out some of the remaining glass, and picked Alex up, which was extremely difficult now because I was almost positive at least one of my hands was broken.

I ran through the woods, which were beginning to catch on fire, and I made it back to the front of the house. I ran over to Nicky and Sebastian. They hugged me tightly.

"Jeff, look," Sebastian said, pointing to a police car.

In the back seat, I saw my dad in handcuffs. And I breathed a sigh of relief.

Sebastian's uncle was answering questions.

"Jeffy, I feel like I'm going to pass out."

I sat down on the ground, still holding Alex in my arms. She went unconscious, and I was guessing it was from the pain my dad put her through. The same thing used to happen to me. On the worst days, I'd constantly feel faint from the pain.

I looked up at the fire, the whole house had collapsed now. Firetrucks were starting to arrive.

Alex woke up again, and took my hand.

"Jeffy."

"What?"

"Everything hurts."

"I know, I know. Once Sebastian's uncle finishes with the questions, we'll go somewhere, and get you fixed up. Believe me, I know how much it hurts right now. But you'll be fine."

I helped her sit up. She leaned her head on my chest. I still didn't have a shirt on from earlier.

I held her to myself tightly. It was taking Sebastian's uncle forever, and Alex fell asleep in my arms.

Finally, Sebastian's uncle came over to us.

"Let's go," he said.

Nicky helped me get Alex into the backseat. We put her in the middle of us. She woke up a little, but fell back asleep, laying in my lap. Sebastian sat in the front with his uncle.

Later...

Alex POV

When I woke up, all I saw was brightness. I squinted a little, and then felt something stinging on my arm. I turned to the side, and saw Jeff pressing a washcloth to my arm.

"That hurts," I said, quietly.

"Sorry... Sebastian's uncle should be home soon. He went out to get some pain relievers."

I felt so tired. And laying on the bathroom floor was really uncomfortable.

There was a knock at the door. Jeff opened it.