Chapter 17

Every Saturday morning, uncle Jason would train my family in our gym. We were coming up on our third hour of his strict regime that included a combination of cardio and resistance training.

"Time!" Uncle Jason screamed at us. "Training will resume in ten!"

I jumped off the exercise bike, rubbing my towel across my face before leaving the gym. He always pushed us harder than he needed to. I never knew if it was my uncle Nate's wishes or uncle Jason enjoyed watching us like we were good sport.

I walked up the staircase to the second floor, where I heard something from Uncle Nate's office. Everyone was either training or out on a job, including uncle Nate. I instantly grabbed the magnum from the cabinet drawer from beside me and began walking over to the room. I pushed the door open and pointed the gun at the intruder.

"Shit" she cried, dropping the sheets of paper onto uncle Nate's desk.

The intruder was Katie Larrunzario. I squinted my eyes in confusion.

"What the fuck is this?" I asked calmly but she doesn't respond. "I suggest you answer me unless you want a bullet between your fucking eyes" I took a step closer.

"I'm here to get answers!" Katie yelled, "because all I know right now is that twenty-four hours ago I was a Larrunzario and now I'm an Ashton"

I furrowed my brows, "Gabe didn't explain?"

"No" she shook her head, "all he said was that you're my sister and my father is Daniel Ashton"

I took a second to process the words falling from her quivering mouth.

"Does anyone know you're here?" I asked.

Katie shook her head. I called the others to the kitchen we're we sat around the table with Michael, John, Chris and Aunt Kat.

"Why should we trust her?" Michael cocked a brow.

"She could be plotting to kill us" Chris pointed out.

"I doubt that" John sighed.

Suddenly my phone began buzzing.

"I'm not here to kill anyone" Katie's palms were pressed against her face.

"Hello" I took a step away from my family.

"It's Gabriello Larrunzario, don't hang up!" He begged, "is Katie there?"

"Yeah, she's here," I assured him.

"Please don't hurt her" he begged.

Please don't hurt her?

I ended the call in anger. His words infuriated me. The Larrunzarios had no idea where Katie was, which meant that she wasn't a mole.

I walked towards Katie before taking a seat beside her.

"She's safe," I assured my family.

"How do you know-" Aunt Kat started.

"what do you want?" I asked my sister firmly.

"I told you" she firmed her gaze, "answers!"

My family wouldn't dare ask the enemy for help, so why was she? She could have easily asked any of the Larrunzarios for answers. Hell, our biological mother lives in their mansion.

"Why can't you get them from the Larrunzarios or the woman who bore us?" I folded my arms.

"I can't trust them" she explained, "they told me I was the daughter of Vincenzo Larrunzario and that my mother died at birth"