Chapter 50

It was eight am when we arrived at the Koleawiskis medical centre. The first thing I saw was Sarah Koleawiskis.

I gulped in fear as walking down the hallway with Jack only a few feet behind me. I slowly crept the wooden door open before, taking a deep breath.

My eyes were instantly drawn to the thirty-eight-year-old man with chocolate brown hair and eyes, he sat in his white robe on the edge of his bed.

The man's eyes looked up at me. He looked at me in a way, he had never before.

"Paige" my father gasped as widening his eyes.

I furrowed my brows in fear.

***

"He has suffered a type of amnesia from the accident" Sarah started, "in his mind, he's only eighteen years old...he is completely unaware that Paige was ever pregnant" She finishes.

"What do you recommend we do?" Katie asked from beside Aunt Kat as I sat on the hospital sofa.

"Take him home" Sarah suggested "he's aware of what's going on so I don't see why not"

"Okay" Aunt Kat nodded, "yeah I guess it'll be good for him"

"Taylor" Jack glanced over to me.

I lifted my head to see the faces of Sarah Koleawiskis, Katie, Aunt Kat, and Jack.

I was tired; physically and mentally. I felt like snapping at them all; telling them that he is no longer my problem, but I was too exhausted to speak.

I looked back down. I remembered what it was like to find his body, laying on the cold hard rock helplessly with his own blood acting as a blanket for his head. I remembered what it was like visiting him every day.

He wasn't my problem anymore; why are they all acting like he was my problem?

My father was eighteen when I was born and so was my mother. I didn't know the man in there, I had no idea what made him tick, and that scared the living shit out of me.

"What's the last thing that he remembers?" I asked in fear.

"Being with Paige" Sarah started slowly, "...the night you were conceived"

"Twenty years" I clenched my jaw, "he's lost twenty years"

"How do you want to handle this?" Jack takes my hands, looking me in the eyes.

I just wanted to go home. I wanted Chace to grab the car and take me away from all this mess.

"I don't" I stood up, "where's Chace?"

"Singapore" Aunt Kat informed, "he'll be back by morning"

I nodded as exiting the medical centre. So much for Jacks perfect birthday celebration.

2009 was a big year for me. My father was the gasoline that kept getting added to the fire known as my life.

I was a ticking time bomb that was so close to exploding; I hated being unpredictable. That was something that my father and I had in common; we were both afraid of ourselves.

***

The next morning, I climbed down the staircase to find my father sitting across from Uncle Nate, beside Aunt Kat, Uncle Jared, Aunt Christina and Uncle Jason. It was rare to see all the siblings under the same roof.

I walked towards the coffee pot; poured myself a cup before exiting the room with all eyes on me.

"Kid" aunt Kat called after me.