Chapter 54

Gabe and I sat at opposite ends of the bed as we slid our clothes back on. I had just slept with Gabriello Larrunzario which I thought nothing of at first. I wasn't even thinking about Jack or my family, I just didn't care.

"You're different" Gabe told me.

"In what way?" I asked as my back was turned to him.

"You're more aggressive" he explained, "you weren't like that before"

"A lot changes in a year Gabe" I quoted his words.

"So what are you gonna do?" He asked me.

My plan was to go home and tell them that 'Father Josh' got away. That way, Gabe would be safe.

"I'm going home" I told him whilst standing up "and so can you...they won't come after you now"

"Yeah I know" he nodded as walking towards me slowly, I kissed him passionately, not wanting it to end "uh Taylor I-"

"No stop" I begged as kissing him again "don't ruin this, please"

Gabe was fun yet serious; you knew when he was about to get real deep, I guess I hated deep conversations.

"Taylor please" he pulled away. "There's something you need to know"

"What? You got somebody?" I raised my brow, making him shake his head. "Than what is it?" I asked as our lips were only a few inches apart.

He broke eye contact. "I was there"

I blinked, "where?" I asked 

"Crimson Lake" Gabe explained "the night that your uncle was killed"

At that moment I took a step back. I always did wonder if Gabe was there on Nocte Fractorum.

The fact that he brought it up meant that he knew something that I didn't. Gabe's confessions were always big secrets that my family hid from me.

"What?" My voice quivvered.

"I was there with my family" he explained, "it happened so fast Taylor...Cotton showed up and just started shooting at us all...than the rest of you guys showed up and I saw you...I saw your cousin Michael inject you and-"

"And then he threw me in the lake" I finished for him.

"No" Gabe denied as taking a step towards me, "as he was sedating you, he was shot a few times in the arm...I ran up to him and begged....he was hesitant but let me take you...we were behind a bolder for a while but then it got too dangerous so I put you in the lake, had you floating on your back, rubbed some blood on your chest - made it look like you were already dead."

I froze. Gabe saved me that night. My cousin Michael trusted Gabe with my life. I didn't understand why they all went to so much trouble to protect me

"Why are you telling me this?"

"You know I could never keep anything from you." He softens his gaze.

"Okay so why did you help Michael protect me that night? You could have just walked away."

"You before everyone else" Gabe lowered his voice.

Uncle Nate had said that line to me before. I was never provided with anymore infomation.

"Why?"

Gabe widened his eyes. "You don't know?"

"Know what?" I asked him.

"You're next to inherit the family business" he explained, "Your fathers grandparents stated in their will that the oldest daughter of their last grandson will take over the family business"

"Wait" I started slowly in fear "so when uncle Nate dies...I get the business no matter what"

"I thought you knew" Gabe admitted.

"Wait so if I die..." I knocked on the wooden night stand beside me "what happens?"

"Only your line can continue" he explained "So if you die-"

"The business dies with me" I gasped, resulting in Gabe wrapping his arms around me.

****

I left the airport slowly; Gabe was off to his family Mansion in Canada and I was going to mine in Brooklyn.

I caught a cab halfway to the mansion before walking the rest of the way. My hair flew through the crisp wind as I walked slowly to the mansions door.

I had been gone two days; no phone calls, no warning. I walked through the double doors, than through the foyer. I took a right to the staircase which I began to climb.

"Where have you been?" As deep voice questioned once we were standing halfway between the staircase. "Taylor?"

That was the first time in my entire life that my father had ever called me Taylor. All my life he had called me Rina.

"You know where I've been" I rolled my eyes.

"Excuse me?" My dad cried.

"Do you need me to spell it out for you?" I cried in frustation.

"Hey you don't talk to me like that!" He screamed. 

"Or what huh?" I snapped, making him wrap his hands around my neck whilst pushing me up against the wall.

"Daniel!" I heard a voice cry from behind Dad, which only made my father tighten his grip.

His eyes were of those of a killer. I had never seen them with that much anger before. His teeth were pressed together and he had a vain popping out of his neck.

I felt the life being sucked out of me as he squeezed tighter and tighter.

Suddenly two men threw my father off me. I took a few seconds to regain air before taking a closer look at the men. It was John and uncle Shawn. I could see uncle Nate in his office, sixteen feet in front me; just staring at me.

I sighed whilst walking up the stairs to my bedroom where I just sat on my bed. "Where have you been?" John asked whilst sitting beside me.

"Uncle Nate didn't tell you?" I raised a brow.

"No he didn't" John shook his head.

"Hmm he's good at that" I looked down and laughed without humor.

Uncle Nate knew where I had been yet still didn't say anything despite the fact that my family were obviously concerned.

"Hey Jack's on the phone, what do I tell him?" Chace announced as entering my bedroom, barely acknowledging my existence.

"Just give it here" John sighed causing Chace to pass the cell phone to John before leaving the room.

"I'm not here" I glared at John. "Please"

I didn't want to talk or Jack to anyone else.

John nodded slowly. "Hey Jack" he started, "its John...yeah still no news on Taylor...yep I'll keep you posted..bye"

"Thanks" I look down and sighed. "I can't deal with him right now"

"He's your boyfriend" John reminded me.

"He's a distraction" I corrected. "Can you go? Please" I begged.

"Taylor" he gave me that look that I've been receiving my entire life.

"Now, go on!" I screamed, to which he gave a blank look. "Leave now" I yelled as pushing him off my bed.

"You need help" was the last words I heard as John walked out of my room.

My family needed me; they didn't love me unconditionally, without me they're nothing.

All their money automatically goes to the other side of the family (which Vanessa and John were now working with in the Hamptons), and they lose everything.