Chapter 35

"How long do you think it'll be till they let me back on a job?" I glanced at John who sat beside me in the limo.

John wore black slacks, a brown wooly turtleneck with a black blazer and black leather shoes.

"Soon" he assured confidently whilst looking out the windows.

He sounds too confident, which meant he knew something that I didn't.

"Do you know for a fact or-" I cocked a brow.

"I know for a fact" John nodded as reverting his gaze to me.

A smile spread to my face. "Thank God" I cried "I can't wait till I get back out there and do what I do best"

"And get away from all this?" He raised a brow.

Back then, I wouldn't have left my family for anything. Amazing how things change to quickly in my family. In 2008, nineteen years old me was as clueless about the world as an infant.

"This is what I live for" I admitted "I wouldn't dream of leaving it, I'd miss it all too much"

Funny, in 2008 I was so naive. In less than four years I'd be gone. By 2011, I would be like Uncle Nate's estranged son, Ethan - I'd be no longer considered apart of the family.

"Here we are" Chace said as pulling the limo up to the kerb.

"Thanks, Chace" I smiled in his direction.

"See ya sweetheart" he grinned in his fake southern accent.

John and I jumped out of the limo and begin walking down the sidewalk.

"So where are we off to?" I asked.

I looked over my shoulder to find Chace's limo, sitting at the kerb and about thirty feet behind it there was a grey charger with a familiar looking guy standing beside it - just glaring at John and I.

The man was tall with light brown and olive skin from what I could see. He was the same man that I had seen at the cake shop earlier.

Well that's suspicious as fuck. I thought to myself.

"The Jeremiah's" John announced.

The Jeremiahs were family friends of ours. About forty years ago Jackson Jeremiah found out that his identical twin brother, Lachlan Jeremiah, was working with the Larrunzarios.

So the brothers split up and now forty years later, Lachlan's descents changed their name to Jeremy and are now close partners with the Larrunzarios whereas Jacksons are on their own but mainly work with John's family (the Parker's and Lori's).

Although the Jeremiahs and Ashton's were never close, we still considered ourselves business associates.

There was this one girl - her name was Kaitlyn Rose Jeremiah. In 2008 she was about twenty-nine years old which was the same age as Uncle Nate's son Michael. Kaitlyn Rose was a descendant of Jackson so we didn't mind when she and Michael began dating a few months earlier.

"What for?" I asked as averted my gaze from the man with the charger and to John.

"Nick wanted us to pick up the groomsman suits" John informed.

Nick was Kaitlyn Rose's father and was like John's second father. John's family were a lot closer to the Jeremiah's than we were. So close that John considered them family.

"Who are your groomsman?" I asked curiously.

"You, Jack and Freddy" he responded simply.

Freddy was John's older brother who was older by two years and eight years older than me.