Chapter 44

Hi all,

So this chapter is just speeding through the rest of Taylor's recovery, whilst also going into a little more depth about Chace.

I hope you all enjoy!

----------------------

Three weeks later

"F A T I G U E" I spelt out as placing the letters onto the Scrapple board "Fatigue"

"Simplistic," Chace said as placing an S above my I and spelling out his word.

"Do you like my family?" I asked as we sat on the carpeted floor, facing each other.

I was in my grey fitted T-shirt and blue and white striped pyjama bottoms whilst Chace wore a white tank top with a blue sweater over the top and black track pants.

Despite being two in the morning, his hair was perfectly styled and showed no sign of tiredness.

"Yeah they're alright" he admitted.

I found that hard to believe. In all honesty, I didn't even like my family a lot of the time.

There was Cotton Candy who always found himself in the middle of a mess, and his mother Christina who never could see to stay in one place long.

My father Daniel who was the cause of my uncle Nate's many ulcers over the years. My sister Katie, who many didn't trust because of her ties with the Larrunzarios.

My cousin Michael who didn't realize that inserting chemicals into someone's neck to sedate them was not okay.

My uncle Jason and his arrogance, my uncle Nate and all the drama that's attached to him and his kids. Vanessa and Kyle were always fighting, her kids were always crying, John was never in town long enough to see any of them.

There was always so much danger and drama attached to each of us Ashtons. A lot of the time, I didn't want any part of it. That ultimately lead to me deserting my family later on.

I then placed down the word green on the board.

"What are your family like?" I asked him casually.

No one ever spoke about Chace's family; not even Chace himself. My family kidnapped him when he was only fourteen years old for ransom; his family never paid up despite being extremely wealthy.

My family never blackmailed those who we know cannot pay up; we only ever blackmailed the wealthy.

"My family?" Chace raised a brow.

"Yeah" I said "do you have siblings? Cousins?"

"Sure" he nodded as placing down the word screen. "I've got a brother and sister...cousins all over New York and California"

I had no idea that he had siblings. I wondered why not even they ever came for him.

"Do you ever keep in touch?" I asked, immediately regretting it.

Chace had been MIA for four years. Hell, he still had missing persons posters scattered around the state.

"I went missing when I was fourteen" he pointed out "they probably think I'm dead or something"

I placed down the word ginger.

"Do you miss them?" I questioned.

"What's with the sudden interest?" He asked calmly.

"It ain't sudden" i admitted as looking down at my letters.

"No" he shook his head "I don't"

And that was that. The conversation ended.

***

Aunt Kat arrived at my hotel room the next day. She did a full exam which is when said, "You no longer have a concussion"

My eyes widened in disappointment. "That's it?"

"Yeah" Aunt Kat nodded, "I'll be back to check up on you in a month to see how you're progressing" With that, I just responded with a grunt "don't act like a child kid" she ordered.

"Am I going back with you?" Chace asked my aunt.

"Yes, are you ready?" She asked him.

"Wait now?" Chace blinked.

"Yeah now" she nodded "is there a problem?"

"No its just..." Chace than took a step towards Aunt Kat "do we really trust her alone?" He whispered in her ear.

"I can still hear you" I rolled my eyes.

"She'll be fine" Aunt Kat assured "you'll fly in every second weekend to check on her-"

"Yeah but-" he protested.

"But nothing" Aunt Kat snapped. "Now grab your things"

"Alright" Chace nodded slowly.

"I'll be waiting outside" Aunt Kat started "see you soon kid" she says as leaving the room.

"Chace I'll be fine" I assured him. "If I need anything, I'll call...besides you'll be here every second weekend anyway"

"Fine" Chace nodded "be careful, don't over do it...bye" he half-smiled.

"Bye" I waved as he took his suitcase and followed my aunt out my hotel room.

***

So for the next month and a half I was just ordering room service, watching old movies and drawing.

"How you feeling?" Chace asked as walking through my hotel room.

"Like I could run a marathon" I admitted as packing my suitcase "Aunt Kat gave me the all clear so I'm on my way to Hawaii" I danced around my hotel bedroom.

The last few months had been the longest of my life. After being stuck in a small hotel room for the entirety of my recovery, I was ready to head to Hawaii.

"Take it easy ta" Chace placed his hands on my arms "you're still recovering"

"I'm fine, Aunt Kat said it herself" I smiled "she said I can swim, I can dance, I can go to the gym etc etc"

"Well I'm glad to here it" he smiled.

I hadn't set eyes on anybody but Chace, Aunt Kat, and the room service guy since Vanessa's wedding. The story they ended up telling my family was that I went away to an art course to improve my technique.

To my surprise, they all bought it.

I then began laughing. "You know, I can't believe that everyone bought into the whole going to Venice for an art course"

"Me too" Chace admitted.

"Thanks Chace, for all you have done for me" I smiled "I really do appreciate it...it must have been real hard on you coming back and forth like that"

"It was my pleasure" Chace told me. "...it was better then house chores" he smiled.

I chuckled "yeah, I bet"

I was told that Vanessa had taken over house chores and the cooking when Chace was over here. I was also told that the house practically fell apart without him.

My family really did depend on him, more then I knew.