Chapter 13

*Alfred P.O.V.*

"Now Mr. Pennyworth, you are certain this girl is alone?" Asked a rather young looking doctor.

"Yes, sir. She...just told me she told me she doesn't any parents. So I will be paying for all medical expenses." I stated sternly and rather sadly. The doctor made a note in his file before looking up sadly.

"Also, I unfortunately, have some alarming news. The child-"

"Suzy. Her name.. She said her name is Suzy." I said correcting him.

"I'm sorry. Suzy.. appears to have suffered some alarming trauma. bruising along her body. She has hair missing in patches. What's concerning to me is it appears someone has branded her. She has a tattoo on her shoulder which is obviously not okay for someone so young to have. Due to child laws we have contacted child protective services. They will be here by tomorrow morning. I'm so sorry, but thank goodness you found this girl. She could have been a lot worse off without you." He patted my shoulder and left me to go back to Suzy. I stood outside her room with my hand on the handle. This poor little girl. What could she have gone through. I needed to do something. I pulled out my phone and called Barbara.

"Alfred? Is everything okay? Is Bruce?" She asked, confused.

"I apologize, Barbara, for being rude. Everything is fine but I require your help.." I said quietly. I explained to her everything that had happened the last few hours, and what the doctor just told me.

"Alfred you seem to have a problem." She said chuckling to herself.

"And what problem would that be?" I asked now the one confused.

"You have thing for saving helpless orphans. Taking care of Bruce, Dick, and now Suzy. Alright now, what would you like me to do for you? You mentioned the doctor said she has a tattoo? Like a brand. If I can hack into Gotham General Hospital's digital files I can find where she came from. I'll call you when I find something, Alfred." She assured me before we bid each other good day. I checked my watch and realized I needed to pick up Harley and Jeremy in an hour. I went back into the room and saw Suzy was back asleep. It was quite the conundrum.. what could I do. She turned over onto her side and I walked over to adjust her blanket and remembered what Barbara required.

"I apologize young miss." I whispered pulling out my phone. I took a quick picture and sent it to Barbara. She texted a thank you as a woman in a sharp gray pantsuit came in holding files. She looked at Suzy asleep on the bed and gestured to me to come out into the hall.

"Mr. Pennyworth, I presume. I am Diane Klause. I'm from Child Protective Services. I have a few questions I'd like to ask you." She said with a tired expression.

"Of course, ma'am. Shall we head over to the cafeteria for what they pass off as coffee?" Her eyes brightened a little and with a curt nod we headed off.