Chapter 16

*Poison Ivy's P.O.V.*

I was working tirelessly on a new plant specimen that was finally responding to a new growth hormone I had designed. I got the idea back when that horrid fool experimented on my lovely babies back at the asylum a few years ago.. My eyes ached a bit so, with reluctance, I stepped away for a small break. I left my lab and wondered restlessly to my bedroom. I was exhausted but exhilarated by my work, so why couldn't I find a moments peace the ladt few days.. I froze a moment and dared a look at my calendar. It couldn't be that time a year again? A heaviness settled in my chest. It was. It was nearly her birthday.. I walked quietly but quickly from the room before I could look at that wretched calendar again. A horrible ache moved into my stomach and I made my way back to my lab. I paced around the room, my babies reaching for me as they sensed my unease. I wanted to go to them, my only real comfort now.. But something in me wouldn't allow it. Maybe I should bring Harley J. over for a few days.. That usually helped. Her big smiles and beautiful eyes. Without another thought I called Alfred at who lived next door to Harley J.

"Pennyworth residence, Alfred speaking."

"Hello, Alfred it's Pamela. I'm sorry for the short notice but I'm afraid it can't wait. I need to come pick up Harley J. Tonight preferably."

"I believe she would adore that, Madam. I shall ready her belongings and have her ready within the hour."

"Thank you, so much. I will be there soon."

I changed into some regular clothing and put on the organic make up I designed to hide the greenness of my skin. The heaviness was getting more intense as I tried desperately not to think about it.. About her. I ran out the door as soon as I could. In just a little bit I would be able to hug little Bug and it would stop. The heaviness would lessen.

I say behind the wheel of the car I had gotten to safely transport Harley J. to and from my residence, and I let my mind slip. Just for a moment. Would she have my hair, eyes? My abilities? I shook my head and wiped away the tears I felt welling up. For just a moment I let go. I weeped, not just for the thoughts but the loss. My loss. She lived but I will never know her. My little Flower. Her smile, her laugh, her voice. It was better for her this way. I am a warrior for nature. I couldn't be what she had needed. I shook my head once more and wiped away the tears. The heaviness was still there but I could manage better. I reassured my make up was still in place as I had made it waterproof, for just such occasions. What good was hiding in plain sight if a little rain or tears could easily reveal you? I put the car in gear and left for Harley J..
----------------------------

Short again I know. But I hope you enjoy anyway! Thank you for being patient!