Chapter Four

Anna stopped at the lake's edge.

She couldn't follow her sister across the water.

This, however, was where Jack had an advantage.

He followed behind Elsa, stepping where she had stepped, reinforcing the ice she had left on the surface.

"Elsa! Where will you run to?" He yelled, and Elsa shook her head as she continued running.

A glimpse of hope sprang up in him; maybe she had started to believe.

But how?

She knew no such thing of a Jack Frost, and one doesn't simply make something like that up.

Elsa couldn't hear him, that was for certain.

Still he followed.

Everywhere Elsa went, things got colder and more icy.

Her emotions were out of control, and so were her powers.

He followed her up a mountain, and when they nearly reached the top, Elsa stopped.

He hovered nearby, watching her, wondering what her next move would be.

To his surprise, Elsa began to sing.

He listened in awe.

Her voice was absolutely beautiful.

He watched as a smile lit up her face, and she began to throw ice and snow about.

Suddenly it seemed she wasn't afraid to use her gifts, the same way she had been the night he first met her.

He followed behind her as a glorious ice castle began to form before him.

She certainly seemed to know her stuff.

Still her amazing voice resonated within the ice walls.

He hadn't seen her this happy in years.

Jack didn't hesitate to add his own touches to the castle here and there.

Elsa let her hair down and made herself a gorgeous dress of ice crystals.

Ok, he thought, now she's just showing off.

But still he couldn't keep the grin from creeping across his face.

Even though he'd known her since she was a little girl, he couldn't deny she was beautiful.

Finally she finished her song and stared in wonder at her own work.

Little did she know the work wasn't all hers; she'd had a little help from a secret friend.

Jack, too, sat back and gazed around the gorgeous castle.

And it was this routine that carried on for a while, sitting, staring, singing.

And they both loved it all.

Of course, it was not long before Anna, the ever dedicated sister, came looking.

She arrived one day, barged right through the castle doors.

Elsa was not entirely pleased to see her.

She explained to Anna that she wished to be alone, that she was free here.

Jack didn't know which side he was on.

He understood that Elsa had no worries of hurting people out here, but all Anna ever wanted was for the love she gave to her sister to be returned.

At the end of their argument, Elsa conjured up an enormous snow monster to shoo Anna out.

Jack was a little frightened.

It was a strong action for Elsa to take, to put her sister in danger like that.

But once all was quiet again, Elsa fell to her knees and cried.

He knew she would never turn, her heart was only ever full of good intentions, and now she felt massively guilty for what she'd done.

He sat with her and whispered words of encouragement.

As night fell and Elsa drifted off to sleep, he stood on the balcony and faced the Moon.

"Listen, I really need some confirmation here. I've been with Elsa all these years, and suddenly things have only taken a turn for the worse. This is what I'm meant to be doing, isn't it? No one else can understand her on the level I do. Please, tell me something, anything. .....please...."

Jack stared up into the night sky, listening for anything, watching for anything.

A few cold tears fell down his cheeks, but other than that, nothing happened.

"Please!" He shouted, and Elsa stirred slightly.

He turned back and looked at her.

Sleeping soundly on her ice castle floor, she looked as though she belonged.

Maybe she didn't need Jack.

He walked to her and planted a cold kiss on her forehead.

It was to bid her farewell.

He wiped the tears from his cheeks and flew off into the night.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I know this chapter is really, really rushed.

Here's the thing: this chapter was a little bit boring, so I just wanted to get it done.

I'll post a more interesting one soon...

Thanks for reading!