Chapter Five

Jack was looking a little worse for the wear lately.

He'd taken to throwing ice fits all day, and frantically calling to the Moon all night.

He'd thought leaving Elsa would benefit him.

He figured he'd done his part, and it was Elsa's turn to discover who she was.

But now that he was alone again, he felt empty.

Even before he met Elsa he'd never felt this empty.

He blamed himself for all of it.

He'd let himself fall into Elsa too much, stopped treating it like a mere task.

He'd begun to have feelings for her herself.

These feelings were indescribable.

When he was with her, they were happy, when he wasn't, they were angry.

Jack again struggled with what his purpose was, why he was here.

If he wasn't meant to help Elsa, then what was he meant to do?

And how long would he have to search to find out?

He decided he needed to go somewhere far, far away from here.

Where no memories of Elsa could even cross his mind.

Jack needed a fresh start.

As much as he hated the thought, he needed to start blank again.

As he flew through the night, he looked down and saw the small and beautiful kingdom of Arendelle.

Although he knew he was only torturing himself, he swooped low to say goodbye to the place.

He wove through the streets and listened to all the people complain about the cold, about the winter Elsa was causing.

He cringed every time he heard her name.

As he flew past the castle, something stopped him right where he was.

A muffled cry, one he'd heard before, for many years, one he could not forget.

His mind pulled him out and away from the kingdom of Arendelle, but his body had different intentions.

He followed the cry, and the mental battle in his head raged on.

Finally, he sat in front of the small barred window of the castle dungeon.

No, it can't be, he thought.

But as he peered in, his suspicions were confirmed.

Elsa had been locked up!

A million thoughts ran through his head.

He wanted to stay with her, to keep her company until everyone realized who the real bad guys were in this kingdom.

But something told him he didn't belong here anymore.

Elsa had her own life to live, and honestly he'd never really been much of a help.

He looked to the skies and tried to block out Elsa's crying.

Inside the cell was frosted over.

It took all his might to pull himself away with not so much as a glance backward.

Jack flew and flew, further and further away from Elsa and Arendelle.

He convinced himself he was absolutely never going back.

He did nothing for Elsa, she didn't even know he existed.

That night in her cell, Elsa had never felt more alone.

Everyone had turned on her.

She was stuck in the dungeon of her own castle.

The night was hardly memorable for her, she had simply cried and thought about all the mistakes she'd made in her life.

There was at one point, however, a certain feeling that entered the room.

A feeling she recognized.

It was the feeling that had given her the last bit of strength she needed to carry on these last few years.

In that moment, the frost on the walls started to recede.

Her fast breathing slowed and her tears stopped flowing.

She looked around the room, but she was alone, at least visibly.

She sat on the floor and continued to glance into the shadows.

There was nothing.

Out of the corner of her eye, she could have sworn she saw movement outside the cell window.

And just like that, as quickly as it came, the comforting feeling left, and the room grew colder.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So guys, things are about to change a lot in the story, by the time Jack returns to Elsa, the Frozen story line will have already gone through and ended, and my own story will begin.

This will be the expanse of time between the end of Frozen and the beginning of Rise of the Guardians.

I've got big plans for the future of the story :P

stay tuned!