Chapter Sixteen

Elsa was worn out by the time night fell.

All Jack wanted to do was go, go, go.

Build a snow man, build an igloo, hey Elsa, don't you think we need a shed?

What about a barn?

Wanna have another snow ball fight?

Let's climb this tree.

How about ice skating?

He was like Anna used to be when she was a kid, but times three.

She certainly hoped he wasn't like this every day, if they were going to spend eternity together.

The mountain face that used to be covered in gleaming, flawless snow was now covered in foot prints.

Of course, Jack could fly, but Elsa had to chase him around all day on foot.

"How about we take a second to relax?" Elsa asked and Jack sighed.

"Ok, fine." He relented.

This was Elsa's favorite part of the day, when she could sit on the ice castle floor in Jack's arms.

In those moments it seemed as though she didn't have a care in the world.

However, they always ended too soon.

So when the sky finally became dark and the Moon shone bright outside the balcony, Elsa couldn't wait to cuddle up with Jack and ask for immortality.

The second part would definitely be more difficult than the first.

"So how do you do this? Talk to the Moon, I mean." Elsa asked, and Jack just shrugged.

"It's pretty simple, really. All I do is just...talk. I'm not really sure if the Moon is listening or not, because he never responds, but I've yet to figure out another way to contact him.." No matter what Jack said, she was still full of hope.

"Ok...um, Moon? Hey, it's, uh, Elsa. See, Jack and I are kind of...together. But he's immortal, which I'm sure you're aware of, and I'm not. So we were wondering if you could so kindly grant us this favor...so that I can be immortal as well." Elsa said.

She felt weird just speaking out into the sky, but Jack nodded, so she must have done it right.

"If you never give me anything else, Moon, that's fine. This is all I want." Jack added, closing his eyes.

"Is that... Is that it? That's all we can do, and just hope for the best?" Elsa asked, and Jack nodded solemnly.

"Elsa, I think...I think I'm going to have to go. Explore the world, see if maybe the Moon wants me somewhere else. Maybe...maybe if I do what he wants, he'll do what I want in return." Jack said.

He didn't want to leave Elsa, but he felt like he must.

The whole time that he'd been with Elsa, since she was little, he'd felt right, but he always felt like something was pulling him the other way.

It was quite possible the Moon had intentions for him somewhere else.

Elsa looked down at her lap and clenched Jack's hand.

"So why don't we...let's set a date and a place. Let's go back to the palace library and look at the maps. We'll pick a place and meet there on some date, far in the future. If I show up...well, then the Moon granted us our wish."

Elsa said, still not lifting her face.

"And if you don't show up?" Jack said, swallowing hard.

Elsa shook her head.

"No, I will." Jack kissed the top of her head, and then they began their flight back to the palace.

 With his arm around Elsa, Jack sat on the couch and scanned the map in front of them.

"How about...in this area? We'll meet on top of whatever the tallest building is in this area. Does that work for you?" He asked, and Elsa nodded.

They then picked a date, and the high numbers scared Elsa a bit.

That was a long time to go without Jack.

"What if I forget it?" She asked

She knew she wouldn't, but she didn't want to take any chances.

"Here." Jack said, and he began to sketch the date into his forearm with ice.

He winced slightly, but finished it.

"Let me see your arm." He said, holding out his hand for Elsa.

"Does it hurt?" She asked, clutching her arm to her chest.

"It stings a little, but I'll do it quick." He said, and she cautiously held out her arm.

She squinted and bit her lip to try and stay tough, and Jack couldn't help but laugh at how cute she looked.

"Elsa...Elsa, I'm all done, you can open your eyes now." Jack said, and he watched as she relaxed her fist.

"What? Oh." She said, and pulled her sleeve down over the icy tattoo.

Jack grabbed her chin and looked into her eyes.

"I'll see you soon, ok?" He said quietly.

She nodded, and they shared one last kiss before Jack flew out the window to disappear for a lifetime.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So up next will be the epilogue, the final part of Slipping Away.

Thank you to all who have read!