Awake

Is that music? What's that beeping? Whose voices are those? Why do my eyelids feel so heavy? What time is it? Did I fall asleep in my office? Oh no, I missed dinner, Jake must be so worried. That shock through my body must have just been part of a dream. I slowly sat up. Why did my chest hurt so much? I opened my eyes to bright lights and a bunch of machines surrounding me. Why was I hooked up to a bunch of machines?

"Where am I?" I said, my voice raspy. Two people who were sitting at a desk across the room staring at a bunch of computers looked up. They rushed over and began checking my pulse and shining a light into my eyes.

"Go get Dr. Parks," the girl said. The other person, a guy, ran out of the room.

"What's going on?" I asked pushing her hand away.

"I need to check that you're okay," she said sternly.  The guy that just rushed out came back with Dr. Parks.

"Oh my goodness, you're the actual Dr. Parks. Sir, I'm a huge fan."

"Yes, I am. I see that you finally decided to wake up Miss. Briton.

"Wait. This must mean that I'm at Solar Labs. Awesome! Wait, why am I at Solar Labs again?"

"You were struck by lightning. You've been in a coma," said the girl.

"For how long?"

"Nine months," said the guy, "By the way I'm Jackson and that's Aspen."

"I have to go. Jake's probably been worried sick."

"He just left to go get coffee from Zests. You know he's been visiting you every day for the past nine months," Aspen said. I got out of the bed and put on a sweatshirt.

"Woah, woah! June, you shouldn't even be walking around. We need to run tests to make sure you're okay. You just woke up after being struck by lightning," Jackson warned.

"I feel fine," I said as I walked out. I walked a few blocks to Zests. I opened the big glass double doors and saw Jake paying for his coffee at the counter. I snuck up behind him and went on my tip toes to cover his eyes.

"Guess who?" I said teasingly.

"June?" He gasped as if he couldn't believe it. I put my hands down and he turned around. I was grinning from ear to ear. He hugged me slightly picking me up from the ground,"I never thought I would see you smile again. How are you even up?"

"I don't know. I just woke up ten minutes ago."

"Should you even be on your feet?"

"I feel fine," then he punched me on my arm,"Hey! What was that for!?"

"For making me live without you for nine months."

"I was just in a coma!"

"You said you were fine."

"Fair."

"I missed you."

"I missed you too."

"Do you want some coffee?"

"Sure," we got back on line and talked non stop.

"Mocha latte with a shot of expresso and caramel drizzle," he said when we got the the cashier.

"You remember," I said with a smile.

"Ever since dad allowed us to start drinking coffee in middle school," he paid then when my drink came we sat on one of the couches and began to talk.

"How did you find me that night?"

"Well, it had been an hour and you still weren't home and mom, dad, and I got worried. Dad and I drove to the station and when we got to your lab everything was a mess. Shelves were knocked over, things were spilt everywhere, and you were laying there, not moving, clutching your car keys. We called the hospital and paramedics came and took you to the hospital. You stayed there for about two months then Dr. Parks offered to take you to Solar Labs."

"Wow."

"We should go visit dad! He's at the station and he'll die when he sees that you're up."

"Okay."

"I'll drive us," we drove to the station and didn't stop talking the whole way there.

"Wait here," he said when we entered the building. He went to go get dad but came back a few minutes later without him.

"Where is he?" I asked.

"Captain said he's up in your lab talking with the fill in CSI," we went upstairs and saw him talking with a guy who looked a few years older than me.

"Hey dad," Jake said and he turned around.

"June?" He whispered in disbelief. I nodded and he hugged me while his eyes began welling up with tears.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I'm guessing you'll be wanting your job back. I'm the CSI from a police station a few towns over. I've been covering for you."

"Thank you," I said. I was going to be getting back into my normal routine. I said goodbye and Jake and I went outside.

"I have to get back to work but I can drop you off at home real quick if you want."

"I'm good. I'll walk home, I need to stretch my legs."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure I feel fine."

"Okay bye June, I'll see you in a few hours," he said getting into his car and driving to the hospital. I began to walk home taking in the nice weather. As I was walking past an intersection I saw an old lady crossing and a car coming. She wasn't going to make it and the car wasn't slowing down. Suddenly the old lady and I were on the other side of the street perfectly safe without even a scratch.

"I-I'm so sorry, I have to go," I said and took off down the street. I was in front of my house in a few seconds. What was happening to me? This couldn't be possible, could it?

A/N- hope you enjoyed the chapter! Here's the Zests logo. It's still a work in progress so tell me what you think!

 It's still a work in progress so tell me what you think!