Chapter 4

Frozen from shock, Katherine sat there, mouth agape. She sat there for a few seconds trying to process what she had just heard. Regaining her composer and finding her voice, she asked, "How do you know about us?" shyly. Her father sat back down in his chair. "This afternoon, I had gotten out of work early. So I decided to pick you up from 'The Sun' and take you out to dinner. As I neared your place of work, I saw that pathetic boy walk toward you while your back was turned. I watched as he said "Hello" and got your attention. I assumed that you were only friends with those newsies, but when I saw you run to him and hold his hand and start walking down the street together, I was angry and didn't understand why. I came home and waited for your return. After two hours, I looked out my window and saw you and that lowlife holding each other in an embrace. And so, Katherine, I want an explanation from you and a reason not to let those Delancy boys do whatever they want with that maggot, Jack Kelly." He said evenly, but his anger was still there.

Katherine gasped at her father's threat. "Don't you dare send those horrid boys to hurt him!" she shouted, now full of anger herself, as well as fear. "And I don't have to explain myself, least of all to you. I love him, and he loves me! He's the first person who has ever believed I could be a front page reporter and not just a newspaper heiress. He treats me like a princess and he is the best thing to ever happen to me!" She was the one standing now, glaring down at her father's furious face.

He stood as well and stared at her. "How is it that you, my daughter, has fallen for a street rat's games? He doesn't love you, he just wants to use you. You're rich, you're beautiful, and by being with you he's getting his revenge on me for raising the price of the papers. You are forbidden to see him, you will not speak with, and you most certainly will not be seen with him or so help me, those Delancy boys will make him regret it. Now, Katherine, believe me when I tell you that this is the for the best. Stay away from Jack Kelly!"

Katherine couldn't hold back her tears. She ran out of his office and up the stairs to her room. She passed her mother, Cecilia, on the way up. "Hello Katherine. How was-Dear, what's wrong?!" Her mother asked as Katherine rushed past her to escape her father's new rule. The door to her room slammed behind her. Too angry, too upset, and too scared to do anything else, she laid in her bed and wept. Her worst fears were beginning to come true.