Chapter 21

(A.N. Hey guys! First of all, WOW! 21 chapters?! I NEVER thought this story would be going for this long! Thank y'all for sticking with me though this. Y'all are the best! Anyways, here's the next chapter. Remember, You're the King of New York!)

"Alright, alright, can we go? I've been sittin' here for 20 minutes while all o' yous guys just stare at me." Jack complained from the bench he sat on.

The group had walked just outside of the Pulitzer property to be away from the crowd of high class people wondering why there was a fight.

"Well, if you'd hold still for a minute I could finish cleaning your wound." Alice admonished. "Hitting your head on that stone cause a small gash to split open. It's not too bad, but you're not going to work for a few days."

Jack opened his mouth the refute that statement, but Davey gave him a look saying it was hopeless to argue with the girl who was best friends Katherine Pulitzer. He shut his mouth and tried hard not to shout every time she touched his head.

"Jack, are you alright?!" A voice asked full of panic. Every head turned to see Cecilia walking over to the group, carrying something in her hands.

Jack nodded, but winced immediately after and grabbed the back of his head with one hand. "Yeah, I'll be okay."

Cecilia took a few steps closer. She handed Alice a cloth and a glass of water. "I'm so sorry this happened to you! Here. I know it's not much but I'd like to help as often as I can."

Jack smiled and took a big swig of the water. "Thank you Mrs. Pulitzer-" "Oh none of that. Call me Cecilia." She insisted. Jack continued. "Thank you Cecilia for helpin' me see Katherine. Do you know where she is?"

Cecilia shook her head. "Now that I think about it, I don't. I saw her and Joey run upstairs than came back down. They rushed out the back door before I could ask what happened. I thought they were with you all."

Alice spoke up. "We haven't seen either of them since Joey brought her away from the fight." "Well, I'm sure they're alright. As long as Joey is with her. I wish I could stay longer, but Joseph is already boiling because of the...incident." Cecilia said farewells and hurried back inside her home.

"Do you have any idea where Joey and Kath would be?" Davey asked Jack and Alice. They both said no. Jack hung his head low. "I don't think dere's much else wes can do now. Let's get back to the lodge house." He said.

*******************************

The group made it back to the lodge house. All of the Newsies collapsed on the furniture and/or the floor, which was shortly followed by snoring. Lots and lots of snoring.

Jack said good bye to Davey and Alice. Davey insisted he walk Alice home. After all, it was after midnight. She blushed and accepted. The two waltzed out the door and down the street.

Jack slowly made his way to the roof. He climbed the ladder and stood against the railing, staring at the city before him. He yanked off the tie he'd been wearing and took off his coat and vest. He went over to his bed to lie down and try to sleep.

"Fancy seein' you here."

Someone called to him, mimicking his Newsie accent. He stopped in his tracks and turned. He grinned wildly and ran to embrace the person.

"Ace! Oh Katherine, I'm so happy yous okay!" He mumbled into her hair, tears quietly falling.

Katherine returned the embrace. She was no longer in the extravagant ball gown, but a simple white blouse and purple skirt. She pulled away and cupped her hands around his face, wiping away the teardrops.

"Oh Jack! I thought I'd never see you again!" She cried, her own tears threatening to spill over. "H-How are yous 'here?! I saws Joey bring yous inside." He inquired.

"Well, I was trying to get back to you when Joey said he had a plan to keep us together. We went back inside and got a few things before he brought me here."

Jack chuckled. "Joey is a mastermind. It's because o' 'im wes even 'ere." Katherine nodded.

Her eyes wandered to the bruise on his jaw. Her fingers brushed over it. Jack sucked in air as she grazed his injury. "Oh Jack. What else did they do to you?" She asked, her voice barely a whisper.

He shrugged in reply. "Nothin' that won't heal. An' now that I'm with you, I don't feel any pain." He smiled at her.

He raised a hand and placed it against her cheek. She rested her head on it. Jack leaned down and captured her lips with his own. Katherine threw her arms around his neck while he held her waist.

Nothing was breaking them apart now.

All too soon they separated, breathless. They sat down and rested against the railing, staring at the stars.

Jack made a mental note to draw this later, wanting to remember this moment forever. He had his arm around her and she nuzzled close to him, a blanket draped over them.

After a while, Katherine laid her head on Jack's shoulder and within seconds was fast asleep.

Jack grinned and kissed the top of her head. "I love yous Ace, an' I'm never lettin' you go." He then rested his head back and too fell into unconsciousness.

No one keeping them away from each other.

It was just the two of them, and that's all that mattered.

(Okay, I LOVED writing this last part!!! I just HAD to have it!!! I smiled and giggled the whole time. Ugh, they are what I want in my nonexistent love life. Please vote and comment what you thought of this chapter. Peace out!)