Chapter 6

The sun rose above the tall buildings. The morning bell had rung. Jack was up earlier than everyone, as usual, and made his way to 'The Sun' with Crutchie and Race right behind him. He wanted to see Katherine before going to 'The World' to sell papes.

Jack asked for them to walked with him so he could figure out what to get Katherine for her birthday. He had been saving up some of his money to get her something, but he had no clue what. "How 'bout a hairbrush? Don't girls love to brush their hair?" Race suggested, mimicking a girl brushing her hair, as they were halfway to Jack work office. The three of them laughed. "Nah. She wouldn't like that. Whatever gift I give her has ta mean somethin'." Jack answered.

"Oh! What about a pretty necklace? Like one o' dem fancy lockets?" Crutchie chimed in. Jack's face lit up. "Crutchie, you're a genius!" He said as he patted the boy on his back. They were nearing 'The Sun' when a carriage pulled up next to them.

The door opened to reveal Joseph Pulitzer in the back seat. The boys tensed up a bit. "Mr. Kelly, care to take a ride to my office? Your friends can come as well if you'd like." He said. Jack didn't know what was going on, but he didn't really trust ol' Joe much, even if he was Katherine's father.

"Sorry Mr. Pulitzer, but we'se got work to do so-" Joe cut him off. "Since you all work for me it won't hurt you to come into my office for a little while, I only wish to speak with you. If you'd think that you and your friends are not going to earn enough money then I will give you each a a few dollars for your troubles."

Jack looked between Race and Crutchie, who both nodded. "Alright Mr. Pulitzer, we'll go with you." And with that they stepped into the carriage.

The ride to 'The World' wasn't a long one, but it was a silent and awkward one. As soon as they got there, Jack and Race practically jumped out of the carriage with Crutchie close behind. With an unnoticed eye roll, Joseph walked out and strolled through the loud building filled with people bustling around doing who knows what for tomorrow's paper.

He lead the way to his very large office and sat himself behind the seemingly hand carved desk. He motioned for the boys to take a seat in the chairs opposite his own. Jack moved first, sitting in the left chair while Crutchie took the right one. Race just stood, leaning forward against the back of Jack's seat.

Jack just looked at Joe with that smug face he usually makes, waiting for the reason they were summoned. "So why are we here?" Joseph pulled out two checks, wrote on them, put them on the desk and pushed them towards Jack. He hesitantly picked them up and saw the amount written. Crutchie and Race leaned over to see how much was on it. All three of their faces changed from curiosity to shock.

"What's this for? Why you just handing me so much money?" Jack asked in total confusion. "The check with the smaller amount if for a train ticket, enough money to get you to Santa Fe to be exact. And the other one if to help get you started in your new life." Joe explained.