Chapter 32

It had been 4 agonizing weeks since the whole ordeal. Jack was almost entirely healed up, although that was merely his physical wounds. Emotionally, he was worse than he'd ever been.

After he regained his sense, his first thought was wondering where Katherine was. When Crutchie explained when happened, Jack, putting it simply, felt completely heartbroken.

Katherine, the love of his life, the girl he nearly died for to protect, slipped through his fingers. What was he going to do now? He couldn't just sit there and watch as his beloved was being sent overseas.

He really didn't have much of a choice in the matter; Davey, Crutchie, and all of the other boys took turns keeping an eye on Jack so that he could get better and not do something irrational and stupid.

He hated feeling this useless; they wouldn't even let him sit on a set of stairs and attempt to sell papes on his own at first. All they allowed him to do was stay at the lodge house to draw, read, or rest during the day.

Slowly his strength began returning and they let him do things on his own once more. They still wouldn't leave him by himself. The first chance he got, he would be out the door (or window), down the street, and at Katherine's house before they could bat an eye.

The same could be said for Katherine, which is why she was constantly guarded.

Her father had stationed Morris and Oscar outside her window where the fire escape was, so no chance for a get away there. He also had other men right outside their front door, ensuring her solitude from the outside world.

Her only visitors were Alice and Joey. They often came with news of the boys and how Jack was recovering. She thanked God for her unintentionally prolonged stay at home, even though it was because her aunt had been ill for a short time. Now she was on her way to health, which meant that soon Katherine would be put on a boat for England.

Ever since the day her father forced her to come home, she hasn't slept one bit. Her mind played the events over and over like a constant movie.

When she did rarely sleep, she was tormented by horrendous nightmares. Some involve her being made to marry a pompous, rich jerk and moving to Europe; others include Jack dying before her eyes or in her arms.

Either way, she's wake up screaming in a cold sweat with tears streaming down her face. And every time, like clockwork, her mother would rush into the room, robe pulled over her shoulders, and be there to comfort her daughter.

Cecilia had done everything she could to derail Joseph's plans, but nothing worked. Their options seemed bleak, he appeared to have won the game. He still went about his daily routine as if there was nothing wrong. Everything was going his way. And with less than two weeks till Katherine's departure, he decided to relax his grip...slightly.

One morning he called her downstairs to his office. When she entered, he hardly noticed her tired and worn expression, not even the bags under her eyes or the discoloration in her cheeks gave him pause. He was mostly focused on the paper in front of him.

"Ah, my dear. Good to see you this morning." He greeted, but was met with silence. "Since you are leaving soon, I've made arrangements for you and Joshua to meet with Darcy, Bill, and Alice this afternoon for lunch. Joshua should be arriving in about," Joseph stopped to look at his pocket watch. "One hour. That should give you plenty of time to freshen up." He finished without so much as glancing at her twice throughout his one-sided conversation.

Katherine's face had remained stone cold the entire time, but once she made it back to her room, she shouted for joy. She was free for the day! She can escape for at least a little while.