Chapter 33

Talking, that's the first thing Katherine noticed, men talking. Though their words were slurred, she could still make out bits and pieces of what they were saying. Nothing relevant to her situation.

What was her situation? Katherine didn't even know herself. She was sitting up, that she could tell. But where was she?

The last thing she remembered was a cloth with a strange smelling substance on it covering her face before she passed out.

Her eyes were closed and since regaining consciousness she had made no attempts to open them, until now. Slowly, she opened her eyelids till she could see her surroundings. She was alone in a weakly lit and dirty room, tied to a chair. There were machines and tools scattered around the small area.

Katherine continued looking for some clue as to where she was exactly. Her search was rewarded when she caught sight of a logo for a clothing factory that had been recently shut down and abandoned, but she couldn't remember where in the city it was. Great, just when she thought her Reporter Skills could never fail her. Well, she needed to find out what exactly was going on.

Her answers would come soon enough when the door swung open, letting in a dim light and three figures of tough and unpleasant looking men through the door.

One walked over to a table and struck a match to light a lamp while the others stood in front of Katherine. She went to open her mouth so she could speak when she suddenly realized she was gagged, so no screams would be made. The worst she could do was glare at them. But her attempt at intimidation or to even appear threatening was laughed off by the men before her.

The one who seemed to be the leader took a step closer to her. Now she could see him, he was one of the men tasked with making sure she wouldn't leave her home, what was his plan?

"Glad you'se awake. Would ya like ta know why you're here?" He said with sly smirk. His breath was thick and sickening with the with the scent of alcohol. Katherine grimaced at the stench, but continued to glare. The man went on.

"Ya see, your Father was payin' us pretty well, but that can only go so far. So one day we was thinkin' that what better way to make money," he pause and slowly stroked Katherine's cheek. "Than to ransom the daughter of the most powerful man in New York City. Boy, we'll be living like kings! That is, if he pays. If not.... Well, let's just say it won't be pleasant for you or your boyfriend. We got him tied up too." The vile man gave a chuckle that sent shivers up Katherine's spine.

She did her best to keep up the hard and brave exterior, but on the inside, she was terrified. Was Joey okay? Did anyone know they were missing? Did Davey get help? Was there a search party out looking for them? So many questions and no one to answer them. All she could do was sit, wait, and pray that someone was searching.

In a different room, Joey was in the same boat as Katherine. He was tied to a chair and gagged, but the room he occupied was almost empty. The only thing in it were a few barrels filled with, from what he could smell, alcohol.

This wasn't his first time being kidnapped and tied up, and it surely wouldn't be the last, but his worry wasn't for his own safety, it was for the girl he had promised to protect. Boy was he doing a terrible job.

The thugs that grabbed them had walked in two or three times, but they paid him no mind, for that he was happy, or they would have noticed him inching his way towards a small tool box he spotted in the corner of the room.

He didn't have much time. He had to escape with Katherine before something worse happened.

Will he be able to succeed?

.............................................................................

At the Manhattan lodge house, the Newsies were trying to find their friends with little success.