Chapter 27

(A.N. Hello my wonderful readers! I know its been over two weeks since my last update, but I FREAKING HATE WRITERS BLOCK! Blame that for y'all not getting a new chapter for a long time. My sister just gave me an AMAZING way do end the story so y'all please stick around for it! Alright, here y'all go!)

"C'mon fellas! It ain't much further!" Race yelled from his position in the front of the large group of Newsies right next to Katherine, Davey, Joey, and Crutchie.

As they neared their destination, a few of the boys starred getting nervous, Crutchie being one of them. Katherine noticed and moved towards him.

"Crutchie? Are you okay?" She asked kindly. He didn't respond at first, but after about a minute he spoke up.

"I-I'se just thinkin' 'bout when I was at the Refuge." He croaked. He's shoulders were shaking and he was trying not to cry at the memories.

Katherine put an arm around him. "Crutchie, it's okay. No one walks away from something like that unscathed. I've interviewed veterans from the Civil War and many of them say it takes a little patience and time to heal. Don't worry, everything is going to be fine, Jack is going to be fine." She reassured him.

He turned to and gave her a small smile. "Thanks Kath. I feel betta." He said.

The group had finally reached the Refuge. Just standing there looking at it put Katherine's stomach in knots. She'd never been there, but it looked even more eerie than she anticipated.

"Okay, you all know what to do. Crutchie, you and Race lead half of the boys to the back of it and make sure no one tries to escape. The rest of you, follow me." Davey instructed.

He led the way to the front entrance. They stopped at the door. When Joey put his ear on the wood, he heard lots of footsteps inside. Definitely more than two sets. He whispered his findings to his comrades and they decided to continue with the plan.

"Alright. On three.
One...
Two...
Three!"

Joey yanked the door open and about 10 Newsies rushed inside, only to be greeted by about six thugs. Albert and Specs lunged at one with a chain, Mush and Finch took care of one with a large knife, while the rest of the Newsies attacked the others.

Amidst the chaos, Crutchie, Katherine, Alice, Davey and Joey were able to evade getting caught up in a fight.

The gang hurried upstairs and began their search. Opening door after rotting door. No sign of Jack. That is, until Katherine opened one door.

The room looked like all of the others. Katherine was about to move on when something familiar caught her eye. She gasped and ran to retrieve Jack's Newsie cap. She picked it up and held it tightly.

"Katherine? Kath-Oh there you are! Crutchie says he thinks he knows where Jack is." Davey announced as he entered the room. Katherine smiled and immediately followed him.

She was so close.

So close to getting him back.

No one was going to stop her this time.

(What happened next takes place at the same time as the scene above)

*SPLASH*

Ice cold water came pouring down upon Jack. He jumped awake, started by the sudden icy liquid.

"Well, looky who finally woke up eh Morris." Oscar declared, holding an empty, metal bucket.

Jack shivered, from both the cold water and the even colder room. His torn clothes didn't help retain his fading heat.