Chapter 3 - Avery

I perch my ass on the barstool and Cameron takes the seat next to mine. We both swing around to face each other, grins in place.

"Ready?" I ask.

"If the win is anything like I'm imagining right now then I've never been more ready for anything."

That makes me feel all too pleased. There's nothing quite like a man that stops at nothing to let you know you're wanted. Too many people play games but Cameron is not one of them and, well, me likey.

"Flattery will get you everywhere." I nod approvingly.

"Good." He laughs then leans in until he's just a breath away from me. "Because I intend to get everywhere with you."

"Awesome." I breathe and his low chuckle shakes my very core.

Our drinks arrive and we both turn our seats back around to face the bar. We grab our drinks and hold them up.

"Cheers."

We toss the drinks back, slamming them back down on the counter a moment later. Feeling the buzz instantly swirling inside me, I hum my excitement and we wait patiently to hear the the rattle of the front door bell.

"So," Cameron starts conversationally. "You caught wind of my dysfunctional and laughably cliché family history. Time to step up, chica."

"Bit of a heavy subject for a supposedly light-hearted night." I counter.

"Oh, my subject is very heavy and you'll be introduced to him later on tonight. What's another topic of the same manner?"

I snort and cough into my glass, setting it down. "Classy."

He grins. "Aren't I?"

"Fine. You win. But only because my family history is just as dysfunctional and laughably cliché."

He rubs his hands together, narrowing his eyes in the cutest way. "Do tell."

"My childhood actually started out golden but don't they all? We were a picture perfect family of three. And then three became one and my dad didn't know how to deal with it. Long story short, he lost himself completely and ended up landing his ass behind bars."

Cameron's mouth drops after a beat of silence. "He was in prison?"

"Is in prison." I correct curtly.

"How the fuck is that cliché? Damn."

"You're telling me you've never known anyone who's went to prison?"

"Does Michael Scofield count?"

"Funny." My eyes gleam. "But I'll say yes because he's super hot."

He leans back in his seat, all smiles with his hands out by his sides. "Sorry babe, but he swings for my team. On that note, I would totally do him if I had the chance."

I drop my face into my hands with uncontrollable laughter. It takes me a few very concentrated moments before I'm able to pause long enough to speak again. I lift my head to throw him an amused look. "Why am I not surprised that you managed to turn my sob story into a laugh fest, no problem?"

He smiles and reaches out to tug a strand of my hair. The tenderness of the act threatens to tug my heart as well. "And why am I not surprised you caught onto that?"

"Told you." I flip a mass of hair over my shoulder and thoroughly enjoy how his gaze darkens as he watches the movement. "I'm pretty awesome."

"I'll agree with the pretty part." He waggles his brows. "But the awesome has yet to be proven."