XXXVIII

reality washed over me again as i awoke from my depressing, yet terrifying slumber. my eyes slowly but surely opened to see it was already nightfall, and the only ones who weren't asleep were now tyler and i.

though the dirt road wasn't lit at all, no street lights in sight, we only relied on our headlights. but even then we could see still that brendons car and our car were the only ones on the vacant road.

our ride was going a steady 25 miles an hour, though brendon was speeding ahead slightly, we could still see him in front of us. i rubbed the sleep from my eyes, and stretched as best i could in my seat. that's when tyler noticed i was fully awake.

he grinned, "did ya have a nice sleep?" his voice was calm and mellow, i assumed it was from his lack of sleep. i softly smiled back, seeing him still alive and well was assuring that it was just a dream. i was still able to see him smile, that's all i could ask for.

"yeah," i sighed a short breath, "i guess you could say that." the dream itself was awful, but the fact of it not being real made it safe to assume my mind was just messing with me.

i really hoped that was the case.

"how long was i asleep for?" i wonder, my voice only loud enough for tyler to hear. he glanced over at the time that was illuminating the green numbers from the middle of the screen on his dash.

"maybe a little over two hours?" he didn't sound too sure of his answer but went with it anyway, "a little after you did, the three peas in a pod back there fell asleep, too." he lightly joked.

i picked my head up to look up at the mirror in which it showed the other three who were in a deep sleep. sarah's head was resting on the right side window while jenna's head was resting on dallons shoulder, so he then rested his gently on hers.

i smiled, seeing them all alive and well, and with that thought i calmly sat back in my seat and kept my eyes on the road ahead. the ride itself was smooth, not a bump in the road to be felt or anything. it was all just gravel and dirt from here on out.

my eyes occasionally wandered over to look at tyler, who was clearly tired but kept himself awake for the drive. i couldn't stop thinking about the dream i had, how could jenna just kill him? was it out cold blood?

was there a reason behind it?

i took a deep breath and tried relaxing myself, but more specifically my mind. i couldn't let it run wild like the way it was, it would only freak me out more than i already was.

i decided to distract myself, by staring out the front view window, focusing on brendon's car. after a few minutes i noticed the road was beginning to split, but our cars were still aligned in one lane.

tylers car was still slowly following behind brendons through the divide, until as soon as we got to the actual two paths, brendon took a hard left and sped down the opposite lane, despite that not being the direction we had to take.

tyler hit the breaks so hard the tires squealed, and the car hitched a bit from the back, causing jenna, dallon, and sarah to be jerked awake due to the cars sudden halt.

our car was now standing in the middle of where the two roads would have split off completely. tyler looked awake and surprised at what had just happened.

sarah groaned in pain, "tyler what the--?!"

"brendon just did something stupid." he answered before should could ask. as he said this, he was taking out his phone and called brendon, putting in on speaker, too.

it rang for a while, until an agitated brendon picked up the call,
"dude, what?!"

tyler was baffled, "i could ask you the same question," he scoffed, "where the heck are you going, dude?!" he then asked him, brendon breathed a quick breath before responding.

"some guy was flagging me down in the other lane,"
he vaguely explained, "look i gotta go." he tried hanging up, but tyler got a few more words in.

"wait bren, we need y--"

the call ended abruptly ended, leaving everyone with more questions than answers. that's when jenna spoke up, "what just happened?" her voice was clearly tensed from pain the break had induced on her neck.

"brendons gonna bring a freakin' hitchhiker on this mission too, apparently." tyler tried joking, but it was clear he was just as confused and annoyed as everyone else was.

"well then lets go get him," sarah suggested in a quick panic, "h-he can't be that far--"

"we don't have time to get him," tyler sighed while shaking his head, "he knows the way there, he'll just have to catch up with us." he still sounded agitated, but started the car back up and made his way down the right lane.

everyone was clearly on edge and confused with what just happened, but no one could do anything about it, so they stopped questioning it out loud. sarah kept looking out the window, hoping to soon see brendons car pull up next to ours.

though it wasn't gonna happen anytime soon.

and for the rest of the ride, and when we first arrived there, no word was heard from brendon, leaving us all wondering what has happened, and who the guy in the road flagging him down was. we just hoped to found out sooner rather than later.

and not in the worst way possible.