XLVIII

[only 2 chapters left, btw this is a really sad one. i'm sorry in advance. -frisk]

everyone's face fell and the room went dead silent, not counting the blaring alarms. this moment of paralyzation lasted a few seconds, before it skyrocketed into nothing but panic.

"dallon?! hey dal?! can-- can you stand?!" jenna asked in a frenzy. he laid there for a few seconds before attempting to only sit up, which followed by him bellowing in agony.

i quickly noticed how sarah bolted for the door of the control room, in which she proceeded to loudly slam it shut. though, lucky for all of us, the door had no lock.

brendon helped dallon up as best he could, despite he himself not being in the best condition either. dallon was on his feet after a few tries, though there was a still a few problems at hand.

1. he still had a knife in his side.

2. we're about to get ambushed.

3. we're probably gonna die.

dallon was having trouble controlling his breathing as no matter how short or long of a breath he took, it still hurt like hell. nobody could do anything but try and prepare for what was about to happen next.

but no one was prepared for what did happen next.

the five of us stood by the door, now holding any weapon we could. somehow, sarah still has a gun. jenna grabbed a knife she already had, and brendon had his spare gun with the stolen bullets.

while dallon and i were defenseless.

"g-guys," dallon winced in pain after speaking, "we... we're outnumbered no matter what." he concluded, and no one was exactly disagreeing with him.

that's when i realized the situation outside of our situation, tyler was left alone with ashley during all
of this.

"uhh-- guys," i chimed in, "ashley and ty are still out there." jennas face lost all its color and so did brendons, while sarah and dallon didn't see my point.

"they'll look out for each other," sarah tried to dismiss, but jenna contradicted it, "n-no, tyler's out cold from an infection and ashley can barely stand on her own."

sarah was then on board with the worry train, and so was dallon. she then quickly suggested, "w-we should just make a run for it-- maybe we can make it to the car--"

"we can't outrun them in our state," jenna dismissed, "dallon is in zero condition--" and before she could
finished, dallons frail voice somehow interrupted hers.

"i... i know how to distract them."

everyone turned to face dallon, whose face was now mixed with a sensation of pain and determination when he spoke, "i'll run out there and get their attention... and you guys get the hell out of here--"

"no," brendon tried terminating the idea head on, "you're not gonna do that. no way in hell are you--" brendon got cut off my dallon now groaning in pain before speaking again,

"it's the only way out--"

"it's SUICIDE," brendon expressed with great aggravation and fear, but dallon still wasn't having any of it, "you'll get killed instantly, you have no weap--"

"josh when i say 'now'," dallon turned to face me, "i need you to hold back brendon, okay?" i could feel my heart start pounding in a rapid fire. i didn't know what to say or what to do.

in the distance, audible stomping and running could be heard from almost every direction possible to escape, there was no time to think, no time to do anything.

but then i thought of tyler and just how helpless he was in his state, ans ashley was in no condition to help him either.

this could save all of us, not just him. i didn't think of the fact of dallon dying, this decision was in the heat of the moment, but i did it anyway.

and dallon knew exactly what to do next.

he quickly went over and hugged jenna, though she kept trying to talk him out of whatever he was about to do, she couldn't stop him, never mind that he wouldn't listen anyway.

she held on to him tight, never wanting to let go as the waterworks began to flow from her closed eyes after minutes of her holding them back. during this, dallon was whispering something in a very hushed tone to jenna, which only made her cry more, but after that, she didn't try and stop him, it's as if she knew it had to be done, too.

he then went over to brendon for the final time.

"g'bye bren," was the last thing dallon said before smashing his lips into brendons. he didn't pull back and let it happen, which only filed dallons plan. after the kiss, dallon proceeded to push him to the ground. sarahs eyes widened in shock and her jaw dropped. and that's when her turned to me and said, "NOW."

i went down to the ground and tried pinning him down as best i could. he got up before i could stop him, but i held his arms back and dragged him to the floor so he was on his knees, and that's when we saw it happen. he was screaming for me to let go, and i wanted to, so bad.

but for some reason, i didn't. nothing was registering to me properly. all of this just seemed so well
planned out on the fantasy world that existed only on my head. i just wish i could've stopped what happened next.

dallon was pulling the knife out of his side slowly, but then went quickly yanked it out when he realized the time constraint. his wound was now open, oozing blood out of his orifice.

as fast as he could he got out of the control room, my grip was now loosening on brendon, but he made it out anyway. he shut the door behind him and from the other side of the door we all heard him yell,

"HEY FUCKERS... I'M-- I'M OVER HERE!"

after that, the running and stomping came closer and closer to where we were, as well as the sound of gunshots. this went on for oddly a few seconds until it was silent from the hallway. dallon was gone now, dead or alive he was gone now.

what have i done?

jenna, sarah, and i stared at the closed door in horror while brendon made his way out of my grip and proceeded to break down on the floor crying. this was all my fault, why did i do it? i just let him die, didn't i?

dallon was dead now, wasn't he?