- Chapter 31 -

When Shikamaru arrived at the Subakuno residence with Temari, he instantly felt a surge of panic. Even as they turned onto the street, it was clear something was wrong – there were red and blue lights flashing from numerous police cars on the scene, and an ambulance parked on the side of the road. The area surrounding the house was completely blocked off by caution tape and barriers, and policemen were all hurrying about the yard in an animated manner.

What the hell's going on here?

"Temari, stop the car," Shikamaru said, indicating a spot on the side of the road just at the start of the street.

"R-right," the blonde replied, her face pale from the troubling sight. She mechanically pulled over to the side and put the car in park before hopping out of the vehicle.

Together, Shikamaru and Temari rushed over to the barricade, where they were immediately stopped by an officer with long, white hair. "Sorry, you two. Can't let you through here – this is a crime scene."

"Crime scene? Please, tell me what happened!" Temari pleaded, practically hyperventilating as she tried to see through the sea of police officers.

"That's confidential information. Now, if you need to get through, there's a detour going through some of the side streets here. The signs should lead the way..."

"No, you don't understand, Officer... Jiraiya," Shikamaru interrupted, glancing at the man's nametag. "She lives here – Temari Subakuno. Look it up, if you have to."

"I see," Jiraiya replied before removing his hat somberly. "Well, I'm afraid I have some bad news. It seems your father was murdered."

Temari's eyes went wide. She struggled to speak. "Y-you're lying... it can't be..."

"We're not sure of the exact cause of death at the moment, but it appears he went quickly, if that's any consolation. I'm very sorry for your loss," Jiraiya continued, trying his best to maintain eye contact with the traumatized girl.

Shikamaru threw an arm over Temari's shoulder and pulled her close, allowing her to cry into his shirt as he talked with the officer. "Do you have any idea who the bastard is that did this?"

"Actually, we do. There was a witness – a boy named Rock Lee. He saw the whole thing apparently."

"And? Who is it? Did you find him? Are you looking for him?"

"I have officer's scouring the city as we speak – we will find him – though I'm honestly not sure what we'll do when we find him," Jiraiya responded, scratching his neck uncomfortably.

"What are you talking about? He's a murderer! Lock him up for the rest of his life, give him the chair, I don't care!"

"The suspect is Gaara Subakuno," Jiraiya said flatly, causing Shikamaru to lapse into an immediate silence. "From what we can tell, he and Mr. Subakuno got into a fight, and Gaara came out on top. Lee's understandably shocked by the whole ordeal, so he can't give us all the exact details at the moment. All we know is Gaara took off running shortly afterward, heading south."

Shikamaru didn't know what to say. As Temari continued bawling, he tried his best to console her, though he knew it was impossible. What could he possibly say after hearing such news to make things right? There was nothing – her life had just been shattered, and no words could possibly glue it back together.

Gaara... killed his dad? How...?

"Is Lee still here?" Shikamaru asked abruptly, looking at Jiraiya with renewed intensity.

"He's talking to one of our men on the front porch there. I can't let you talk with him, though – he's been through enough as it is."

Damn... I was hoping I could at least get some more information out of him... What if Gaara's snapped? I mean, if it was an accident and he was innocent, why would Gaara run? It doesn't make any sense... he must know he's guilty, and so he's trying to hide. But what if he's not? What if he's planning to go on a rampage, to go down in a blaze of glory? If that's the case, he'll probably go after the last few people on his list... starting with...