- Chapter 43 -

Kakashi stared at the form before him, the pen in his hand shaking. He had read the document three times from top to bottom, but he still couldn't believe what he was about to do. Glancing up, he found Jiraiya's soft smile staring back at him. Beside him was Iruka, looking on with full support. Above them, the single light in the otherwise bland room of the police station buzzed faintly.

The teacher stared back down at the form. "All I have to do is sign here?"

Jiraiya nodded. "That's right. Then the state will hand over custody of Sasuke and name you his adoptive father. I can give you a minute if you're not sure..."

"No, I've already made my decision," Kakashi interrupted hurriedly. "It just feels so strange. To think that it's actually happening..."

"I know what you mean. It's a shame it's come down to this, really, but I think it'll be for the best. You'll be there for Sasuke more than Itachi ever was."

Kakashi shook his head solemnly. He truly did wish that this could be a happier occasion, especially for Sasuke. He appeared to be taking it well, but Kakashi suspected that this was because Sasuke wasn't confronting the issue head on. With all the other recent events in his life, the Uchiha was able to push the matter with his brother off to the side. It would all come to a head soon enough, though, and Kakashi feared how Sasuke would react when it did.

No... I can't think like that. I'll be there for him when that time comes. We all will.

With a deep breath, Kakashi scrawled his name along the bottom of the page. Jiraiya pulled the form back to his side of the table and extended his hand. "Congratulations, Kakashi."

The teacher sighed in relief as he set down his pen. It hadn't been nearly as difficult as he'd expected. Just a quick signature, and that was it: Sasuke was now his son. He couldn't remember the last time he'd felt such a strange combination of anxiety and excitement.

Wait... yes I can. It was right after I met Iruka. I was so conflicted, fearing the changes that might occur, but eager to see what those changes might bring...

And, when he thought about it, the past few weeks had been rather eventful. Sasuke had made friends. He'd fallen in love – or, at the very least, he had a boyfriend. As for Kakashi, he'd found someone himself, someone to fill that whole left by Obito's death. Then, just now, he'd gained a son. More than that, he'd gained something he could call a family.

Before Kakashi could even begin to think about a simple, domestic life, though, he knew there was still plenty of business to attend to. Clearly, Jiraiya knew this as well, a serious look crossing his features as he leaned forward across the table.

"All right, Kakashi – I couldn't talk about this until the adoption was complete, but now, as Sasuke's father, there are some things you need to know."

Kakashi's grim looked matched the officer's. "This is about Akatsuki, isn't it?"

Jiraiya nodded, chuckling at the silver-haired man's response. "You're a sharp one, as usual. As I'm sure you've heard by now, it wasn't just Itachi who we arrested the other day. Everyone at the top of Akatsuki – the people behind the merger – they were all involved in some rather nasty business. Murder, blackmail, fraud, identity theft – you name it, they did it. Apparently, it was organized by Tobi – an elaborate plot to create a sort of weapon manufacturing superpower."

"So I've heard, yes."

"Well, needless to say, they've all been arrested, and the Akatuski Corporation has been left in shambles. The individual branches have been scrambling to find replacements for their respective leaders, and their stock has been plummeting all the while. Now, Sasuke was named the heir to the Uchiha Corporation long ago by Itachi, meaning that particular section of the Akatuski conglomerate is currently in his hands. As his father, though, it's ultimately you who has to sign the papers."